The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is here

midian182

Staff member

After what seems like endless months of waiting, Microsoft began rolling out the Windows 10 Anniversary Update to all users yesterday. It arrived four days after the one-year anniversary of the launch of Windows 10, which is now found on more than 350 million devices.

The anniversary update brings a number of new features to Microsoft’s latest operating system – some more significant than others. One the best improvements see extensions finally arrive for Edge; fans of the browser will be able to use the likes of AdBlock, AdBlock Plus, LastPass, and EverNote. Moreover, as the update makes Edge more power-efficient, those using it on a mobile device should find their batteries lasting longer.

Another big improvement that will be welcomed by anyone who uses a device that supports a stylus - such as the Surface Pro 4 - is the new Windows Ink feature. The dedicated ink workspace is like a Start menu for all your stylus-supported tools and apps. You can even write down a reminder on a virtual sticky note and transform it into an instruction for Cortana.

Other update changes include the arrival of the Linux command line and Bash shell, a smarter Cortana, an overhaul of the Start menu, the Xbox play anywhere initiative, new security features, over 52,000 new emoji, and many more.

“We are committed to delivering continuous innovation to you: including features that bring Windows Ink and Cortana to the mainstream; a faster, more accessible and more power-efficient Microsoft Edge browser; advanced security features for consumers and enterprises; new gaming experiences and new tools for the modern classroom,” said Microsoft. “Everyone running Windows 10 will get these new features for free.”

Microsoft had intended to release the update simultaneously across all devices, but it will now be staggered. It’s set to arrive on Windows 10 phones in the “coming weeks.”

If you haven’t already received the update, which will download and install automatically (after a restart) providing you’ve chosen the auto download/install settings, you can manually prompt it by going to the settings menu> Update & Security>Windows Update> check for updates.

Permalink to story.

I installed the update on both desktops yesterday without a hitch but I can't remove the Windows.old folder (I didn't perform a clean install). Anyone else having the same problem?

I installed the update on both desktops yesterday without a hitch but I can't remove the Windows.old folder (I didn't perform a clean install). Anyone else having the same problem?
If you use Disk Cleanup it empty's the folder down to a few driver folders but I am unable to remove these as of yet, I think it's just a permissions issue though as I can't see any locks on the files in question.

Will have a play around this evening when I get home.

You know I'm a all in for Windows 10 and Microsoft usually... because this looks very minor for such a huge title "anniversary update", yet looks like all of them could be minor patches.

If you use Disk Cleanup it empty's the folder down to a few driver folders but I am unable to remove these as of yet, I think it's just a permissions issue though as I can't see any locks on the files in question.

Will have a play around this evening when I get home.

The option you are looking for is "Previous Windows Installation(s)." I had to run Disk Cleanup twice however before it showed up. Also be sure you are clicking the "Clean up system files" button in disk cleanup.

The option you are looking for is "Previous Windows Installation(s)." I had to run Disk Cleanup twice however before it showed up. Also be sure you are clicking the "Clean up system files" button in disk cleanup.
Yeah already ran through all that, point is it still doesn't actually remove the Windows.old folder though, it still leaves some protected driver files behind which I'm in the process of taking control of and removing since I can't see the files being locked at all. They did the same thing back in the November Update.

Yeah already ran through all that, point is it still doesn't actually remove the Windows.old folder though, it still leaves some protected driver files behind which I'm in the process of taking control of and removing since I can't see the files being locked at all. They did the same thing back in the November Update.

Use IO Unlocker or something similar ... or wait the 30 days.

I recommend using CCleaner for maintenance (it will remove the old folder and other unwanted files no problem). techspot should have it in the downloads section. it's fast, simple, clean and very powerful.

9/10th's of everything new installed I just uninstalled, the other 10th doesn't give me that option. I have no use for any of it.

it's not like you have a lot of things to remove. just a few apps that you can just ignore.
All the bloat apps I uninstalled like Mail, XBox, One Note, Cortana, Skype, The Store etc. that I uninstalled when I 1st installed Win 10 were back again so I uninstalled them again. Rubbish like Connect, Edge, Films & TV, One Note, etc which I have absolutely no use for I cannot uninstall.

All the bloat apps I uninstalled like Mail, XBox, One Note, Cortana, Skype, The Store etc. that I uninstalled when I 1st installed Win 10 were back again so I uninstalled them again. Rubbish like Connect, Edge, Films & TV, One Note, etc which I have absolutely no use for I cannot uninstall.
Really there comes a time where you just need to admit - Windows 10 is a store-front with an OS tacked on the side...

Strange, it removed it for me no problem. Something must be locking the folder, maybe try one of those unlocker programs someone suggested. Also just an idea but what if you set your date ahead a month, maybe Windows would then delete them on its own.

You're not the only one. I had to get rid of it using the Disk Cleanup feature. I couldn't delete that folder by myself. It took up about 17GB, which is rather ridiculous!

After that update, I noticed my computer locking up at random moments, which never happened until this update. My CPU usage was over 40% at times, because of some *****ic Windows process going on in the background. If they can't get Windows right, then what's the use of really using Windows at all? One headache after another!

I had no problem removing this from disk clean up

After that update, I noticed my computer locking up at random moments, which never happened until this update. My CPU usage was over 40% at times, because of some *****ic Windows process going on in the background. If they can't get Windows right, then what's the use of really using Windows at all? One headache after another!

Your issue is specific to your setup I've not heard of anyone else with this after the upgrade.

Last edited:
From the Cortana search bar, search "disk" and use the disk cleanup tool. It can remove previous Windows installations. Ccleaner can also do this. I don't recommend forcefully doing it by taking ownership/permissions.

It might be something as mundane as running an index search, or building something necessary, just let it run for a bit and it should be better.

They changed some stuff in Settings, start but nothing major. They also added a lot of bloat apps you deleted in the previous version. There was a bug with Xbox app which limited my in game fps to half of my refresh rate, 30. Delete the Windows.old folder using CCleaner or Disk Cleanup.

all of them you can just ignore. not even Cortana affects your PC performance. it's like saying that minesweeper is bloatware.
let's be serious here, you have a problem with MS in general not the OS.

this entire thread is full of people thinking it's "cool" to hate with just weak artificial reasons (fluff reasons). I'm excluding non tech-savvy people that had some problems after upgrading - this is is a legit reason to complain and people here on techspot can help them.

I had a clean install of 1511, but after the update, I had a new Windows.old folder on my C:\ drive, I assume the 1511 version. The Disk Cleanup tool in Control Panel/Administrative Tools removed it. The cleanup utility had extra check boxes for old windows installation, etc. (around 16 GB).
The update also changed some default apps ( video player was Daum Potplayer, changed to Movies and TV app. Changed my Classic Shell start menu to Windows 10 default. Both were easy to restore. Other than that, I've seen no problems. I still need to go through my privacy settings to see what they changed there...

Back