The winners of the first beauty contest judged using AI have been revealed

midian182

Staff member

The results are in for the first international beauty contest to be judged by an artificial intelligence. Over 600,000 people submitted selfies via an app that were evaluated by a “robot jury,” with five male and five female winners selected from the five age categories.

Beauty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder, but the five algorithms used in the Beauty.AI 2.0 contest rate people on different facial elements: the number of wrinkles in relation to their age group, pimples and pigmentation, similarities to models and actors within the same age and ethnic group, facial symmetry, and the difference between perceived age and actual age.

So, other than teaching robots what many people consider attractive, what are the team of biogerontologists and data scientists hoping to achieve with the experiment?

“This contest will help build impartial feature-specific and general robots that will help us understand our faces. But my personal dream is to have this contest extended into anti-aging and general healthcare space,” Nastya Georgievskaya, robot tutor at Youth Laboratories, told TechCrunch.

Not everyone has agreed with the AI’s choice of winners, with one contestant complaining: "What is your 'robot' worth??? One walk through a shopping-mall and I will discover more attractive people vs. that ones 'won' your Beauty Contest."(sic)

Alex Zhavoronkov, Beauty.ai’s chief science officer, said: "I wouldn't agree with some of the robot judges, but in general it turned out to be good."

Business Insider reports that RYNKL, the algorithm used to detect wrinkles, can be downloaded as a standalone app and has been licensed to some plastic surgery providers.

There are already plans for a new Beauty.ai 3.0 contest later this year that will add some new beauty-detecting algorithms. If you’re thinking of sending in a photo, just remember: no beards, hats, make-up, or glasses.

Here’s a list of all the winners.

Permalink to story.

As if people aren't judgemental enough as it is these days... now we have AI getting in the act.

Surprisingly ... the results are rather mediocre in my humble opinion. Honestly expected more beautiful people among the results. Being 36 average looking male, I would go to date with only 3/5 of 18-29 female results and 1/5 maybe of 30-39 female results ... the rest are just not good enough looking even. Can't judge male results. Very poor AI.

Last edited:
AI emulates 'committee'.
Well, you know what they say, "a camel is a horse made by a committee".

On the other hand, it could be that those people are astonishingly beautiful, they just take really lousy pictures.

Actually, all those "selfies" are taken too close, with too short of a focal length lens. That's what's exaggerating the size of their noses. Basically, the perspective is such that their "noses seem too close", while, "their ears seem too far away".

Even still, that bunch looks like they were hit with ugly sticks.

The woman all look like, "two baggers". That's when you have to put a bag on your head, in case hers falls off.

They could get together and form a dating website. Let's see, what could we call it? I know, the "Sexual Participation & Community Activities Group or, "S. P. C. A.", for short.

Wut? Did I say something wrong? I suppose that wasn't politically correct?

The people who staged this farce should get lives, and while they're at it, find something that "AI" is actually good for.

Well, the Winter Olympics will be coming up. Maybe they could have this AI judge the figure skating

Only God knows how old it might think some of those girls are...:D

Last edited:
A beauty contest judged by AI is about as desirable as a suppository made by a dynamite factory. Might be effective, but do we really want to put that kind of trust in them?????

A beauty contest judged by AI is about as desirable as a suppository made by a dynamite factory. Might be effective, but do we really want to put that kind of trust in them?????
Wouldn't that depend on how constipated the human judge was? :confused:

AI emulates 'committee'.
Well, you know what they say, "a camel is a horse made by a committee".

On the other hand, it could be that those people are astonishingly beautiful, they just take really lousy pictures.

Actually, all those "selfies" are taken too close, with too short of a focal length lens. That's what's exaggerating the size of their noses. Basically, the perspective is such that their "noses seem too close", while, "their ears seem too far away".

Even still, that bunch looks like they were hit with ugly sticks.

The woman all look like, "two baggers". That's when you have to put a bag on your head, in case hers falls off.

They could get together and form a dating website. Let's see, what could we call it? I know, the "Sexual Participation & Community Activities Group or, "S. P. C. A.", for short.

Wut? Did I say something wrong? I suppose that wasn't politically correct?

The people who staged this farce should get lives, and while they're at it, find something that "AI" is actually good for.

Nailed it. all of it.

The 18-29 female bracket was disappointing. Although I half expected it to make a political statement, the winners here are more indicative of a planejane sample set than a true aesthetic gauntlet of genetics and conditioning.

If you would excuse my sexism, I must say though, that all of the men look the same to me, so I don't understand why they were even included. To differentiate I need a resume.

As if people aren't judgemental enough as it is these days... now we have AI getting in the act.
It's impossible not to be judgemental while holding a "beauty contest". Programming a computer to do it for you doesn't really change anything. That is other than removing any possible cheating scenarios.

It's impossible not to be judgemental while holding a "beauty contest". Programming a computer to do it for you doesn't really change anything. That is other than removing any possible cheating scenarios.
I can see this kind of AI being used for more then just beauty contests in the future. I'm sure Theresa may could find an "ugly" use for this.

I can see this kind of AI being used for more then just beauty contests in the future. I'm sure Theresa may could find an "ugly" use for this.
Did you ever consider the fact if you can create, "artificial intelligence", it should be even easier to create, "artificial stupidity", and it seems to me, this project has done exactly that.

The only "Theresa" that springs to mind is, "Mother Theresa", and that piece of sh!t, would have most likely guessed her age at about 35.....:eek:

images

Maybe this company ran financials on the entrants, and programmed it to flatter them to the point at which they'd invest....

Did you ever consider the fact if you can create, "artificial intelligence", it should be even easier to create, "artificial stupidity", and it seems to me, this project has done exactly that.

The only "Theresa" that springs to mind is, "Mother Theresa", and that piece of sh!t, would have most likely guessed her age at about 35.....:eek:

images

Maybe this company ran financials on the entrants, and programmed it to flatter them to the point at which they'd invest....
Theresa may... British prime minister... wants to spy on every one in the uk, ... Like I said, I'm sure she could find a use for this.

images

Theresa may... British prime minister... wants to spy on every one in the uk, ... Like I said, I'm sure she could find a use for this.

Britain has a new PM?? Heck, I didn't even know they had an election..I saw this nowhere on the US news. I guess they were too busy trying to get Hillary into the White House.

Photos certainly didn't give the AI much to work with IMHO
No, they would have had to give the AI a distortion correction algorithm to compensate for distortion caused by lens focal length. As I said earlier, a focal length as short as that on a camera phones, causes "wide angle distortion". Which amounts to objects very close to the lens to appear larger than they should be, and objects further away to seem smaller than they should. So the noses are "too close", while their ears are, "too far away".

"Ideal" focal length for portraiture in 35mm camera terms is between 85mm & 105mm. Those camera phones likely have about half that in equivalency terms.

If they did, nobody's arms would be long enough to take their own picture, and the world would be a much better place for it! Oh sure, call me a dreamer. :D

All three Asian girls were predicted to be 13.
That's racist!

How in god's name do you draw the conclusion that stating facts have become "racist". (Unless of course you're joking).

IF the computer can't tell the difference between a 13 YO Asian woman, and a 40 YO Asian woman, THEN in my estimation, it's a lot more salient example of faulty programming. Or, as they said very often in the old days, but don't say nearly enough now, "garbage in, garbage out"!

Back