The Witcher 3 has more Steam players now than it did on launch

Polycount

Staff
Bottom line: The Witcher franchise was never an unpopular one, particularly in the months following the launch of The Witcher 3. However, Netflix's highly-anticipated adaptation of the fantasy universe, aptly titled "The Witcher," has led to a massive popularity surge for the franchise -- and it's not hard to see why.

At the end of the day, video games simply don't appeal to everyone. The Witcher 3 sold like hotcakes, but not every casual consumer wants to sit in front of a PC monitor or TV screen and hack at monsters for upwards of 80 hours, no matter how entertaining the experience might be for many.

A TV show, though? That's another story. Just about anybody (even non-tech-savvy folks) can get behind a good show or movie. Netflix's massive userbase, deep marketing pockets, and (of course) the quality of its latest show have helped The Witcher become almost a household name over the past week or so.

Though it's a very different beast than Game of Thrones, The Witcher is clearly hitting the mainstream and filling the dark fantasy void left behind for many after the former's eight-season run came to an end earlier this year.

While TV show viewers and gamers do not always have the same tastes, there is clearly more than a little overlap. Just as the Witcher games boosted the sales of franchise creator Andrzej Sapkowski's original book series, The Witcher 3 has seen renewed success following the success of its show counterpart.

As we wrote a few days ago, The Witcher 3's Steam player numbers hit an astounding 50,354 this month -- the first time it's managed to surpass the 50K mark since the game's final expansion, Blood & Wine, released in 2016. Now, those numbers have skyrocketed even further to over 94,000, which is more concurrent players than the game has boasted throughout its entire lifespan.

Of course, there are other factors contributing to the game's renewed popularity. Due to various ongoing holiday sales, the game can be snagged for as little as $15 (DRM-free or otherwise). Also, not all of those players are necessarily new customers. People tend to return to their favorite games when the appropriate franchise becomes relevant again (due to a sequel, a show like this one, or even a book).

Still, The Witcher 3 has once again proven that it simply cannot be put down for good. Even without the help of steep discounts and TV shows, the game is often one of Steam's top-selling games, and we doubt that will change any time soon.

At least, not until Cyberpunk 2077 releases in a few months, but we're pretty sure developer CD Projekt Red won't mind if its upcoming futuristic open-world RPG steals the spotlight for a while.

Permalink to story.

Interesting. Outside of Eastern Europe, video games based on novels popularised novels, and now TV series based on novels popularises video games based on novels. Or maybe TV series got push by video game success?
For example, hyperpopular GOT, novels and TV, never produced super-popular video game like Witcher.
Maybe GOT structure, with ensamble cast, forbids creating an engrossing game story arc?

Or maybe CDPR are geniuses?

Cannot wait for CP'77.

I tried playing it again and again, but could never get interested in it, and don't know what's all the fuss about this game. I find myself going back to Skyrim and Oblivion instead.

Playing Red Dead Redemption 2 the past few days makes me want to replay Witcher 3 again; TW3 was engrossing with gripping writing; RDR2 is far from that caliber.

Would they bring the evil knight, that is found in the game? I remember this story, where you follow clues, and you are accompanied by a sorceress. The way it was put together, was like a fable, it had many elements, I liked that particular moment when the evil tried to slow you down, and literally froze the whole path along and there were some puzzles to cross. Finally coming through on the surface, getting on a boat and saying goodbye.

It might turn out to be a better scenario for a movie. It has one hero, has other stuff like sorceress, gryphons, evil knights. In GOT, there were too many characters that had to live, with Geralt, he is the only one it has to live, so they could not force the story in a particular way anymore, just to keep these characters alive.

Would they bring the evil knight, that is found in the game?

Unlikely. The author is involved with the TV series unlike the game (not much, but still is) and he HATES the game series. Especially after its success. The game storyline is based on the books but does not follow any books, rather the studio writer own creation. So I doubt we will see it adapted into the TV series.

Also, that is highly false about your second paragraph. Many characters can't be killed e.g Yennefer (despite the TV season 1 ends in a cliffhanger about her fate, she won't die 100%), Triss, Jaskier, Ciri etc. All because the books are already written and "finished" for a long time, unlike GoT. There's no surprises, at least until we finishes all the books material, which is still a long time to go.

Unlikely. The author is involved with the TV series unlike the game (not much, but still is) and he HATES the game series. Especially after its success. The game storyline is based on the books but does not follow any books, rather the studio writer own creation. So I doubt we will see it adapted into the TV series.

Also, that is highly false about your second paragraph. Many characters can't be killed e.g Yennefer (despite the TV season 1 ends in a cliffhanger about her fate, she won't die 100%), Triss, Jaskier, Ciri etc. All because the books are already written and "finished" for a long time, unlike GoT. There's no surprises, at least until we finishes all the books material, which is still a long time to go.
Idk about the author hating the game. I know he hated the deal he agreed to because he didn't believe the video game would sell good.

I tried playing it again and again, but could never get interested in it, and don't know what's all the fuss about this game. I find myself going back to Skyrim and Oblivion instead.
Lmao I'm sorry for your loss.

It's not to bad if you ignore some of the b movie reasoning and get to the 4th episode. "I don't want my daughter to hear about war!" Then why did YOU bring it up and start talking about it right in front of her...

Back