The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt said to be 30 times bigger than The Witcher 2

Matthew DeCarlo

CD Projekt Red has announced that its third and final game of the Witcher trilogy is coming sometime next year, promising a richer role-playing experience including an expansive open world that measures 30 times the size of The Witcher 2. To help quantify that, we've seen estimates that Wild Hunt will be about 20% larger than The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and take around 40 minutes to cross on horseback.

The realm will be chocked full of forests, lakes, mountains, cities and villages, with each region being home to distinct cultures, and you'll be able to explore it all with few, if any loading screens courtesy of CD Projekt Red's new game engine, REDengine3. Few other details are available, though we've heard Geralt no longer has amnesia and you can expect a better combat system with no quick time events.

witcher wild hunt

Additional information is expected to be revealed in Game Informer's March issue. It should be noted that although CD Projekt Red's press release reads as if this will be the last Witcher game, studio head Adam Badowski has since clarified with Eurogamer that Wild Hunt will merely conclude Geralt's story, but that the franchise will eventually continue with additional titles -- likely following a new protagonist.

witcher wild hunt

It's still too early to know what PC-specific features we can expect, but The Witcher 2's "UberSampling" gave our testbed a thrashing in 2011, so we hope Wild Hunt offers similarly demanding configurations when we bench it next year -- especially since it seems to be positioned as a next-generation console release, with CD Projekt Red ambiguously claiming the title will appear on "all high-end platforms."

Permalink to story.

Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my Dark Souls 2...

Now, jokes aside, Witcher 2 was an obscenely cool game and it positions itself in my top 5 RPG list. I'm looking forward to it and I have high hopes it's going to rock the house. I'll definitely buy it. But after playing Dark Souls, it's impossible to look back (to Witcher 2).

Liked the Witcher 2 but found the inventory/crafting and controls a little frustrating. Still have to get myself to go back and finish it though before buying anything else new (and FarCry 3, and keep playing StarCraft 2 and the expansion when it comes out...)

Liked the Witcher 2 but found the inventory/crafting and controls a little frustrating. Still have to get myself to go back and finish it though before buying anything else new (and FarCry 3, and keep playing StarCraft 2 and the expansion when it comes out...)

I think that's the general consensus. It's a great game, but the controls and menu systems were very weak.

I enjoyed witcher 2 , especially the start , really sucked me into the world . The combat I didnt like , got to easy after a certain point with the exception of some boring silly boss fights . Loook forward to a new one.

Back