Inactive "This computer is configured to require a password" prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

spkenny

First I'll say the system in question is running windows xp pro. My dad unfortunately fell partly for the Microsoft Tech Scam, in which the individual tells you they are a tech from microsoft, and that they need to run a scan on your system. As usual in the end, they said they would complete the cleaning process and let my dad have their supposed protection programs for up to a year for $120 bucks. Immediately my dad then recognized it as a scam, and said no thanx. The guy on the phone from india or wherever, then got peeved and then said if my dad wouldn't purchase their programs, then he would lock up the computer. Now when we boot his computer, right before it gets to the login screen for windows, a small window pops up that reads "This computer is configured to require a password in order to start up. Please enter the startup password below." I've read it's a possible virus that has caused this, where in other places I've read it's simply overriding a system file with a xp disc.

Hi there.

What we're going to do first is a little tech troubleshooting.

Please identify the type of computer you have...make/model/desktop/laptop, etc.

Just an update. This problem does not appear to be virus related as I've come across an article demonstrating a walkthrough on "Securing the windows account database". It reads "This tool will allow you to configure the accounts database to enable further encryption". It then has a box that indicates if you select to enable encryption, there's no going back or turning it off. Then after you restart the machine, you get that '" This computer is configured to require a password" message. This method is a ligitimate method you can set in windows to enable further security. So now my dad cant log it. What do we do now?

I'm aware of this, as I requested:

Please identify the type of computer you have...make/model/desktop/laptop, etc.

I am not sure why this would lead to a physical attribute of the system, unless it has to do with resetting the bios or removing the bios battery. I am a technician myself, but obviously dont know everything. I have taken laptops apart before, but only if it is necessary, so if you could briefly explain where you're going with this

Remove the CMOS/BIOS battery for about 30 minutes. Put it back in, and see if the computer gets past the password prompt. :)

Hello! Are you still with us? Your topic is now marked inactive, because you have lacked to reply.

However, we'd like to still help. Please update us on the state of your PC.

I am having d same problem with my laptop the sMe message comes up that this computer is configured to start up password. Two days back I got a call from some cyber criminals and I fell in their trap. They took remote acess of my computer, played with DOS system and now when I try opening it up I just get this message flashed on screen.. Cud u help me what should I do its ASUS F55C series with window 8.. Thanks in anticipation of propmpt reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back