This is what it would look like if Metal Gear Solid were remade with Unreal Engine 4

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Wishful thinking: Someone has remade the intro to Metal Gear Solid using Unreal Engine 4, and now I want Konami to finish what he started.

AMD's Creative Lead & Art Director Erasmus Brosdau, has recreated the opening cutscene for the 1998 mega-hit Metal Gear Solid in 4K using Unreal Engine 4. The video has only been up for five days and already has over a million views, and for a good reason — it's gorgeous.

The only negative thing that I can say about it is that it leaves you wanting more. Brosdau manages to instill a sense of nostalgia while at the same time capturing the imagination on what the full game would be like, leaving you saying, "I want Konami to remake this."

"Everything is real-time rendered with Unreal Engine 4 and made with usage of various marketplace assets," said Brosdau. "Audio is slightly remastered, new sound FX added, slightly other edit [sic] with new shots and a brand new start menu animation to bring it to a 2018 game quality.

Brosdau previously worked at Crytek and is also responsible for the excellent Warhammer 40k influenced short film "The Lord Inquisitor - Prologue." You can check out his artwork on his website.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I had to go back and rewatch the original Playstation intro from years ago for comparison.

https://youtu.be/LjyI-e-BOOU

It was incredibly good for 20 years ago. A bit more blocky and less detail than this teaser, but so ahead of its time such that it only looks a few years behind even today.

I had to go back and rewatch the original Playstation intro from years ago for comparison.

It was incredibly good for 20 years ago. A bit more blocky and less detail than this teaser, but so ahead of its time such that it only looks a few years behind even today.
Thanks for posting a link to that. It brought back the memories. I remember when my girlfriend and I first played MGS. We were both like, "OH MY GOD! Look how realistic the graphics and animations are!" lol It is hard for kids these days to imagine that at one time that was state-of-the-art video game graphics.

EDIT: Oh yeah and I love the little K0-J1M-A nod to Hideo that Brosdau put on the front of the SDV.

Thanks for posting a link to that. It brought back the memories. I remember when my girlfriend and I first played MGS. We were both like, "OH MY GOD! Look how realistic the graphics and animations are!" lol It is hard for kids these days to imagine that at one time that was state-of-the-art video game graphics.

EDIT: Oh yeah and I love the little K0-J1M-A nod to Hideo that Brosdau put on the front of the SDV.

I vividly remember playing and completing the demo more than a dozen times before the game came out in 1998. Still stands as one of the greatest games ever made even to this very day.

It's why Act 4 in Metal Gear Solid 4 bought so much nostalgia. Hearing The Best Is Yet To Come playing in the background was one of the rare few gaming moments were I literally shed a tear, felt a combination of both excitement and happiness all at the same time.

I vividly remember playing and completing the demo more than a dozen times before the game came out in 1998. Still stands as one of the greatest games ever made even to this very day.

It's why Act 4 in Metal Gear Solid 4 bought so much nostalgia. Hearing The Best Is Yet To Come playing in the background was one of the rare few gaming moments were I literally shed a tear, felt a combination of both excitement and happiness all at the same time.
Oh yes! I played the demo countless times before the game launched.

My favorite fight was the one with Psycho Mantis. Genius!

Back