Thoughts on my website

Status
Not open for further replies.

vassil3427

Hey Guys,
I finally got around to redesigning my fathers website, and was wondering what you all would think about it. It's www.659-acar.com . Just looking for suggestions. Should I remove the fade effect when you click on the links toward the top??

Also how does it look for those of you not using IE?

I used Frontpage 2003. Some have recommended buying Macromedia dreamweaver, that is far more expensive though..As you can see Frontpage does the job just fine!

Hey Vass,
I like the site , But I thought you might want to know a couple of areas show up with words over-lapped. Is that my browser settings ? I am on IE 6.0 SrPk 1 LCD Monitor 18" set to 1024x768 pixls.

Originally posted by Liquidlen
Hey Vass,
I like the site , But I thought you might want to know a couple of areas show up with words over-lapped. Is that my browser settings ? I am on IE 6.0 SrPk 1 LCD Monitor 18" set to 1024x768 pixls.

Perhaps I was misunderstood ,but I was hoping that someone could tell me if my Browser was responsible for convoluting Vass' Web page . I was not criticizing the Web page.I have never tried other Browsers ,but I have read enough that there are others better than I.E.
Any thoughts

I'm too lazy to thorougly analyze all your code but I glanced at it. I would suggest that it would be better to use something like <p align=center> rather than using nbsp; <--(I'm talking about the one with the & character in front of that nbsp;, I can't get it to show it as is as code normally here, or even using the code display thing that vB has.)

The problem is you made it in Frontpage so it will only work in windows, not in linux and not in netscape. It will also won't work if you dowloaded the leaked source code from windows nt4 & 2k.
Just joking :p

The problem is that you are using layers. Fronpage is not very good at managing layers, so it will show ok in IExplorer and some other but not in netscape and others.... Dreamweaver has better managing of layers :p

It's difficoult to tell you how to fix it. Either you play arround moving the layers till it shows okay on most browsers, or I recommend you to switch to a table based layout. You could also try to create a CSS style and define there the position and sizes of the layers.

Also, your layout won't work okay in 800x600 and if you go larger than 1024x768 it won't be staying on the center. The simple way to do that is create a centered table <table align=center>....</table> and designing the layout inside it. Try to use sizes in pixels, not in percents. Percents will cause the site to move and resize depending on the size of the window.

Any other questions, just post'em.

In case someone doubts about my designing/programming abilities, you can check out some of the works I made by myself:

www.super-carros.com
www.super-casas.com
www.hoy.com.do
www.diariolibre.com
www.avelinoabreu.com
www.superflores.com
www.clubescapecaribe.com

:p

zoom in opera

using opera at 120% zoom your page does not display some things where they are supposed to be (I checked 100% to be sure). For instance, the 'email now' link

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 8
Originally posted by dani_17
The problem is you made it in Frontpage so it will only work in windows, not in linux and not in netscape. It will also won't work if you dowloaded the leaked source code from windows nt4 & 2k.
Just joking :p

The problem is that you are using layers. Fronpage is not very good at managing layers, so it will show ok in IExplorer and some other but not in netscape and others.... Dreamweaver has better managing of layers :p

It's difficoult to tell you how to fix it. Either you play arround moving the layers till it shows okay on most browsers, or I recommend you to switch to a table based layout. You could also try to create a CSS style and define there the position and sizes of the layers.

Also, your layout won't work okay in 800x600 and if you go larger than 1024x768 it won't be staying on the center. The simple way to do that is create a centered table <table align=center>....</table> and designing the layout inside it. Try to use sizes in pixels, not in percents. Percents will cause the site to move and resize depending on the size of the window.

Any other questions, just post'em.

In case someone doubts about my designing/programming abilities, you can check out some of the works I made by myself:

www.super-carros.com
www.super-casas.com
www.hoy.com.do
www.diariolibre.com
www.avelinoabreu.com
www.superflores.com
www.clubescapecaribe.com

:p

Thanks Dani,
I'll admit it..I have 0 HTML coding abilities...However I'll mess around with your idea for the table. I've actually been hoping someone would tell me how I could get everything to stay "locked" if you will. So that it wont move around at different resolutions. I really do appreciate your help as I will be designing websites for several companies in the coming months and I need to perfect everything I can.

And yes I used many layers...I knew it would end up being a problem...but it seemed the easiest way to do what I was doing. If you have any other tips, I really do appreciate them.

Ok I messed around with it for a bit, and I know what I'm doing now. I'll get everything moved around into tables tomorrow, and then maybe you can tell me how it looks, and if things are still messing up.

BTW: There's rumor Microsoft is going to try to purchase Macromedia...so Dreamweaver may not exsist much longer..it may be assimalated...(I would have bought that, but it was 3 times more than FP2003)

Dreamweaver can be 3 times more expensive than FP2003, but it's 10 time better.

Those rumors are there for quite a while already. The could be true and it couldn't be true. If microsoft sees macromedia flash as a key piece of their plans, they'll buy it. but they won't buy it only because of dreamweaver.

Remember that microsoft frontpage is not the strong product that microsoft aims to the web, their strong product is Visual Studio.net.

But MS is a big company, maybe someday we'll wake up and go to techspot.com and the first news post will be "M$ buys Macromedia"... :)

Using Avant, by setting the "View/Text Size" to anything larger than "Medium" the screen contents are distorted and start overlapping.

It is not my profession and I was not even interested in it, but I whipped together a site for my brother-in-law in about 5 days, using NetObjects Fusion 7.
It is not finished by any means, but at least it is up and running.
If interested: www.sandyfordcarsales.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back