Three more Intel ULV Ivy Bridge processors detailed

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Three more Intel Ivy Bridge ULV (Ultra-Low-Voltage) processors have been unearthed courtesy of VR-Zone. Furthermore, the team has dug up information on the programmable TDP of all five ULV models, noting that Intel is allowing for a great deal of flexibility for their partners.

The Core i3-3217U operates at 1.8GHz by default but can scale back to as low as 800MHz with a TDP of 14W. There’s no Turbo Boost on this or any other Core i3 processor and the graphics are clocked at 1050MHz instead of the typical 1150MHz.

Intel’s Core i5-3317U features a default clock of 1.7GHz and can drop to the same 800MHz / 14W TDP as the previously mentioned i3 part. Turbo Boos allows speeds up to 2.4GHz for two cores and up to 2.6GHz for a single core. Graphics are also clocked the same as the i3-3217U but are unlocked at the discretion of the manufacturer.

The higher-end Core i7-3517U runs at 1.9GHz and can be pushed up to 2.4GHz by increasing the TDP to 25W. Turbo Boost can push two cores to 2.8GHz or a single core to 3GHz. There’s also a full 4MB of cache onboard.

These new parts join the two existing ULV CPUs that were detailed in December, the Core i7-3667U and the Core i5-3427U. The i7-3667U operates at 1.8GHz and 17W TDP by default but can go as low as 14W / 800MHz or up to 25W / 2.3GHz. The i5-3427U ships at 2GHz and can reach speeds of 2.5GHz at 25W or the same 800MHz at 14W.

VR-Zone points out that products ending in ‘17’ look to be OEM chips and are missing support for Intel vPro and TXT technology while the i3-3217U additionally lacks VT-d and AES-NI.

Permalink to story.

these aren't tablet friendly power draws, but the incredible performance intel are showing per watt (assuming clock to clock = sandy) has gotta be scary for the competition

These would make the perfect HTPC setups. Passive Cooling, Totally silent.

"The i7-3667U operates at 1.8GHz and 17W TDP by default but can go as low as 14W / 800MHz or up to 25W / 2.3GHz. The i5-3427U ships at 2GHz and can reach speeds of 2.5GHz at 25W or the same 800MHz at 14W."

Why does the i7 only reach 2.3 Ghz while the i5 reaches 2.5 Ghz? Is it actually going to be quad core or something? Maybe I missed something, but that doesn't seem right.

Most of Intel's technology is stolen from AMD anyway. Last technological advancement that AMD created took Intel 3 years to catch up on.

Wait until AMD release their new line.

As usual a trolling guest ("stolen AMD tech"), yeah, maybe they "steal" the technology, but they do it better anyway, no matter if it takes 3 years later to move forward. I remember you that the Athlon II with memory controller couldn't beat the Core 2 architecture with still FSB. Now with the same idea of the memory controller on chip it only got worse for AMD even with the more "experience" on this.

And to win7dev, the i7 is clocked lower and has 1 MB more of cache that the i5 [both dual-core]. I'm not sure if both have HT or will be a exclusive feature of the ULV i7. But I guess they have tested both CPUs in order to determine that the i7 will eventually be better than the i5, regardless the clock frequencies.

I have a 1.7 geode gigabit board @14 watts paid 80 bucks about three years ago use it for firewall, not to knock intel but this is news?

Yeah, these Ivy Bridge processors will beat the pants off your AMD Geode.

Back