TIP: Control your system PATH variabe!

D

DelJo63

Here's the issue:

When an application asks for program XXX, the system searches the SYSTEM PATH to find it. The sequence of locating XXX goes like this:​
  • The exact location requested (if any), eg ..\thisDir\XXX (this would have to be hard coded in the code itself)
  • The current directory, eg .\xxx (this and the next are the default behaviors)
  • The system Path variable, which is a LIST of directories
That PATH Variable changes almost with every install, or at least with every Application installed. This gives rise to fraudulent and/or multiple XXX modules on the system.

Here's the cause:

Programmers are lazy, just like you & I and when they create an Installer Package,​
the System Path sometimes needs to include the install location. The easiest method to​
add the new install path is​
PATH = $newpath;$PATH​
I just installed PERL on my Win/7 64bit system and the new path var looks like this:​
C:\PERL64\SITE\BIN;C:\PERL64\BIN;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINDOWSPOWERSHELL\V1.0\;...​
Here's the fix:

Use an ADMIN login and edit the SYSTEM PATH so as to keep​
C:\windows\SYSTEM32;C:\windows;
at the beginning of the path and move the new install at least AFTER the system directories:​
C:\windows\SYSTEM32;C:\windows;C:\PERL64\SITE\BIN;C:\PERL64\BIN;\...
I've been using this technique since Win98 to ensure that system modules can not be overridden (at least by careless path manipulations).

Back