To torrent (illegally) or not to torrent (illegally)

Torrent, or no torrent?

• Yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • I hate torrentors

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Torrenting is my passion

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
Well......I have been using Torrents up until now.... But i don't get to use it that much anymore.

I only download movies and some games.

I'm not that rich so I don't have money to buy Original games. So what I do is try to download it.
using torrent.

So..... I guess I go for torrent! :)

No, I've never used a torrent. I buy the CDs I want, and go to Redbox for movies.

The few TV series I collect, (Sc-Fi only), I spring for the box sets.

Most of the software I use is freeware, other than Photoshop, which I bought.

No, I do not support torrenting. But I do support sharing CD/DVD/Blu-Ray via disc.

The companies would loose a lot less money if torrenting was more controlled/supervised. Mostly because of the tremendous speed and accessibility of torrents. And if DRM became even more advanced, sharing via disc would be even harder.

Yet, I cannot resist copying a disc I already own for further personal usage, say - playing a game on another PC 15 miles away. Having another disc on-the-spot is very convenient.

So I'm a bit split.

I consider using torrents to be a bit dangerous. Also a reason why I stopped using it for quite awhile.

But of course, before downloading anything, I check the comments of the people who downloaded the file. If the comments are good, the I go get it. But if it's bad, forget it.

Heck No...!

To be honest here, up until about a year ago I thought there was nothing wrong with downloading from bit torrent sites or just downloading torrents all together. And I will also be so boldly honest to say that it really wasn't my conscious that got to me and made me stop! Nope it really wasn't me, but rather my I.S.P. that kind of made me see the light and advised me that it might be a good idea if I stopped, before they has to step in and cancel the Internet portion of my paid for services. For prior to their kind of nasty worded e-mail I was nailed in quick concession with the following...

The UCLA Online Institute for Cyberspace Law and Policy

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Here is the link for info on this act...
http://gseis.ucla.edu/iclp/dmca1.htm

You get nailed with three of those in quick concession and your I.S.P. is going to go out of their way to talk to you, either by e-mail or by phone. One way or another someone is going to convince you to quit!

I liked having my high speed Internet, I didn't want to loose it, so I stopped! Now in this past year I went about setting up an Apple iTunes account and linked my credit card to it and now buy all of the stuff I download, from movie's to music, it feels better, it's the right thing to do and I don't have to sweat "big brother"!

So there you go, you got honesty and my take on it! ;)

I thought that was only comcast; what ISP do you have?

What is my I.S.P., well you nailed the nail on the head, it's Comcast or as they like to call themselves lately......"Xfinity"! Comcast dropped the bomb on my punk @$$ over a year ago! But it's all good now, iTunes is in full effect, I pay for my own stuff and get to keep it, no worries about Comcast peering eye's into my business and no more nasty e-mails.

Well to be honest,I try my best to avoid torrents in cases where I can either get the software free or I can purchase it without much effort.Most of the software that I use(90-95%) is freeware and I am happy with that.
The rest(5-10%) is what I purchase(which would include games and general entertainment software) because I feel that one doesn't get the full experience if one downloads pirated games and other entertainment softwares.(Most of the times they are just buggy and would crash all the time).

I would admit that I do occasionally download movies which I missed watching at the cinema and of which I did not find any retail copy.

I can safely say that i've never downloaded a movie because i've never had the data allowance on my IC.

Other stuff though i have dabbled with in the past but not really anymore....So i voted no.

As long as I can purchase used items from places like ebay and amazon, I don't see any reason for why I should consider torrenting to be "bad".

I don't get it.

They're both theft. Or did you think the $40 from reselling Mass Effect 2 on eBay was somehow going to get back to the developers,artists, publishers, DVD stampers, etc.? Buying used from your neighbor is not the same as buying new from Walmart. That money doesn't go towards supporting the artists who put so much time and effort into making the product. Hell, it's not even taxed. It just goes into Proverbial Steve's pocket. At least with torrenting some % of the people will go out and purchase the actual product resulting in an influx of cash. If you buy used that's the end of the line. Well until you sell it on eBay again.

That's ridiculous the person who sells the game has more money to spend too.
No it doesn't directly count in GDP using the expenditure approach, but it certainly adds money to Mr. Ebaymart's account, who appears to legitimately buy games and will likely continue to do so.

Let's get a new poll asking how many torrenters are influenced enough by their "trial" to actually go out and buy the product. I think it's a total myth that torrenting lets people experience the product and cause people to buy it.

So, people would never buy video games if they couldn't resell them later? Interesting. You may be underestimating the consumer. I think it's bonus money, and has nothing to do with "budget planning."

If even 1% of torrenters turn around and purchase new it's still more money being placed in than all of those who buy used take out.

Bonus money usually goes to leisure...I think?
I'll reiterate that I think you're overestimating how much of a marketing tool torrenting is. IMO the percentage is very near zero.
Also you have to consider that torrenting gives people a lot of free software that they'd otherwise have to pay for. They might not buy it otherwise though. Photoshop? How much is that per single user license? Industry grade backup utilities? Windows 7 ultimate? Several hundred each, at least.
How many people do you think torrent windows 7, then buy it? What about music? Hint; it's rhetorical I don't want an answer.

I tried downloading a torrent once. Every 10 minutes or so, my antivirus would pop up with a message saying "intrusion attempt blocked from the IP xxxxxxx," so I stopped the torrent and have never tried them again.

Bonus money usually goes to leisure...I think?
I'll reiterate that I think you're overestimating how much of a marketing tool torrenting is. IMO the percentage is very near zero.
Also you have to consider that torrenting gives people a lot of free software that they'd otherwise have to pay for. They might not buy it otherwise though. Photoshop? How much is that per single user license? Industry grade backup utilities? Windows 7 ultimate? Several hundred each, at least.
How many people do you think torrent windows 7, then buy it? What about music? Hint; it's rhetorical I don't want an answer.
Leisure goes to leisure. People do have other hobbies in their lives. At least I do. I'm not the only one am I?

I'll admit if it weren't for torrents I'd still be using XP 64bit which was given to me by my university. Vista had such a bad name for itself, but I loved it. 7 is great, and I actually considered buying it until I saw the price and their share of the market, reminding myself why I torrent Windows OS to begin with. Of course maybe that says something about the price. But then again it's not in us to change for the better. We can merely make enemies of those who stand out and never consider "why". We learned that in Kindergarten.

Jim sells to Joe so now BigG4mingCompany gets $60 instead of $120 and Jim spends his $40 from the sale on frisbees and a game from OtherBigGamingCompany, etc. Yeah, noone's losing money.

I tried downloading a torrent once. Every 10 minutes or so, my antivirus would pop up with a message saying "intrusion attempt blocked from the IP xxxxxxx," so I stopped the torrent and have never tried them again.
That kind of message is the result of a bad AV program or a virus already on your computer. The act of downloading anything can not give you a virus.

I'll admit if it weren't for torrents I'd still be using XP 64bit which was given to me by my university. Vista had such a bad name for itself, but I loved it. 7 is great, and I actually considered buying it until I saw the price and their share of the market, reminding myself why I torrent Windows OS to begin with.

Whooa whooa whooa, you mean to tell me that you are currently using a torrented operating system? Your Windows 7 isn't truly your own? How the heck does one get around the Microsoft Genuine Advantage checks with a torrented operating system? Bad question, don't answer that one, I don't need for there to be questionable procedures or techniques advertised here on TechSpot.

I don't know, if your ok with using a possibly cracked and hacked version of a Windows operating system, that's fine for you. For me, even with the mounting price tags of today's operating systems, I still fork over the cash. For I like driving away from a store knowing that my new O.S. is all mine!

If it were me, and only speaking for me, I would go back to that legal copy of Windows XP you have. At least that way there would be no question, as to whom actually owns the operating system. Plus with your Windows XP you don't have to worry about not being able to get their automatic updates and or service packs, your copy of XP more than likely would pass all of the Microsoft Genuine Advantage checks!

I'll stop yapping now.

That kind of message is the result of a bad AV program or a virus already on your computer. The act of downloading anything can not give you a virus.

I don't think so. I have norton 2011, and it gave me no such messages before or after the torrent was downloading.

For some people, pirating isn't enough. They have to include malware with it too.

Ha pirators, only 1 out of 10 people torrent the stuff!

Back