TechSpot

Top 10 Hidden Windows 10 Features

By Scorpus
Aug 24, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Anyone that’s been using Windows 10 for a few weeks now will realize just how massive of an update the operating system is. Microsoft has made a concerted effort to right the wrongs of Windows 8, bringing back features like the Start menu, while simultaneously adding in great functionality like Cortana, Continuum for tablets, and Task View.

Many of Windows 10’s key features have been talked about at length, but the operating system actually comes with a lot of great features that aren’t as immediately obvious to everyday users and even enthusiasts. These features don’t get the attention that they should, so without further ado, let’s get on with the top 10 hidden features of Windows 10.

Read the complete article.

2. noel24

noel24 TS Maniac Posts: 304   +154

Well the article is inconsistent in its theme of showing hidden feature. On one hand it shows tricks that may come usefull to users, on the other it advertises DX12 feature which is by far the biggest selling point to a big chunk of private users. But by all means the biggest feature hidden from users is update control. I run into few workflow breaking incompatibilities in the past, that were solved by installing older or different device driver, and Win10 is a no go for me till they sort this out. Privacy concerns are there also, but to the lesser extent.

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,421

No Windows XP mode? Disappointed! :)

4. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,900   +528

The new command prompt is really awesome. I can finally use maven to do software builds without getting annoyed.

5. pantera9

pantera9 TS Rookie

Tim, you forgot about PackageManagement (OneGet).

First, type " Set-ExecutionPolicy bypass " in an elevated powershell window.
    Then: Install-Package –provider bootstrap chocolatey

Then, try something like:
    Install-Package -Name firefox
    Find-Package -Name vlc

6. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 828   +54

Not sure I liked the presentation but the article had some interesting points I wasn't aware of. Different scaling for different monitors, the cmd prompt improvements and the changes to snapping are all cool. I am running the enterprise version of Windows 10 currently on my workstation and it does everything I want currently. Very happy.

7. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Addict Posts: 293   +69

Great overview. I wasn't aware of some of these features.

8. dfesfsf

dfesfsf TS Rookie

I just downloaded XP Black on pirate bay. It gets all the extended updates until 2019. Using it now on my old Dell d830. So far so good.

9. LeviathonVI

LeviathonVI TS Rookie

You didn't tell us where Storage Sense is...