Top 10 Windows Programs/Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinXPert

After a clean install of Windows and you are allowed to install only 10 Programs/Applications what would that be?

The List

10: Lego Digital Designer
9: Smilebox
8: OpenOffice.org
7: Elf Bowling 71-7 - The Last Insult
6: Ricochet Infinity
5: Adobe Reader 9
4: Avast! Antivirus Home Edition
3: The Sims 2
2: Mozilla Firefox
1: BumpTop

Having trouble logging in...

Here are my apps:

1. Avira antivir - antivirus my first line of defence
2. RAMIdleLE - memory manager
3. Glary Utilities -system tools and spyware scanner
4. 7zip - archiving tool
5. Format Factory - multimedia conversion
6. K-Lite Mega Pak - codecs of course
7. DeepBurner Free - for burning CD/DVD
8. Foxit Reader - for my ebooks
9. Free Download Manager - I am a download junkie
10. PortableApps Suite. - OpenOffice.org + other apps

Tmagic650 let's see your list.

Hmm...

1). K-Lite + MPC
2). MeGui
3). Chrome
4). Office
5). WinRAR
6). CCleaner + massive uninstall, depending on whats on my recovery disk, if I have one.
7). Foxit
8). Orbitz (maybe??)
9). CPL Mouse fix+ mouse drivers
10). STARCRAFT (YAY!) +Chaos launcher and Iccup launcher! Then CSS if the computer has a suitable graphics card.

Thats what I can think of now, I feel I left some important stuff.
EDIT: Daemon Tools to install more.

[hk] what's your AV? not included in your 10 so your system is vulnerable.
Haha, thats true, I guess I am vulnerable, if I reformat, I will throw in Avira too, but with school, that will probably be over winter break or near june.
I don't have anything on my computer anyway, and I periodically install and run Avira scans.

I've gotten maybe half way through portable apps creation master 1.6 so far :).
Anyway, wouldn't I have to install it to update every little while?

Just download the AVsig ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip maybe weekly and do a manual update. It runs on it's own folder so its "no install" and doesn't affect the registry, modified files are written in its subdir. I uploaded one on the other thread.

I also modified SuperAntiSpyware to run portable. Didn't use it guess I'm not an SS fan.

If your were to recommend a replacement on any of my top 10 what would that be. Kindly state your pros and cons.

5. Format Factory - multimedia conversion
7. DeepBurner Free - for burning CD/DVD

I usually use MeGui for converting, and DVD flick.

My 10 Apps

1. AVG (This would have been BitDefender but I've had nothing but trouble with it for 6 months now)
2. Firefox
3. Spybot
4. Microsoft Office (OpenOffice suite if we're looking only at free apps)
5. Pidgin
6. GIMP
7. Maybe VLC Media Player?
8. Foxit
9. 7zip
10. A toss-up between Deep Shredder 10 and Diablo II (chess or gaming.. hmmm)

I think a PC with those programs could keep me going for a while.

My brand new PC arrives tomorrow so I'll be able to test that theory. ;-)

I did run Avira briefly a year or two back, but found it didn't detect anything that AVG couldn't. No worse, but no better... I may well be wrong though?

I thought a switch to a paid AV would be worthwhile given the amount of "risky" browsing I did... worst decision I ever made. BitDefender seemed to have mostly good reviews, but I've had nothing but trouble with it, numerous bugs, no customer support and protection not much better than any of the free ones. And the number of times I've lost that protection and needed to cleanly reinstall beggars belief - on my laptop (running Vista) it has never lasted 3 weeks without developing a fault of some sort.

I was considering NOD32 for my new system - do you think Avira and saving the money would be a better option?

(Apologies for veering this thread further OT!)

Avira Free is worth it. I've been using it for more than 2 year and never had a single infection. I used AVG before but I got hit by 3 nasties so I changed it. Anyway it's still user preference, if you think your secured with it why change, mine is only a suggestion. Bty I don't I don't have third party anti-malware/anti-spyware/firewall on my system. But don't try this setup though.

here's my list of free (mostly) software for you (not exactly in this order)
1)Avira
2)Paint.net
3)Foxit Reader
4)KMPlayer (i think it's better than VLC Player when playing videos but you could try both and choose one)
5)OpenOffice.org
6)Firefox
7)CCleaner
8)Winrar (it's not free but there's an trial version you can use)
9)Winamp (nobody suggested it? or is it considered a default program?)
10)Nero (also not free)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back