Top Budget to Mainstream Graphics Cards

Nice article, I have to admit that consumers lose a lot of performance as they move down the GPU ladder. After getting my GTS 450 I look back with some regret, I should have spent the extra $50 for a GTX 460... you know what I mean.

If you have the spare funding, get a GTX 560 (Ti) 1GB or a Radeon 6950 1GB/2GB for serious gaming, you won't regret it. More horsepower than that will only be suitable for multi monitor setups. All games are being designed having the current console generation in mind anyway...

Very good article Jose, it is quite helpful.

I would like to see an article on multi-monitor configurations. I personally would like to set up a 3 or 4 monitor setup and would like to see the pro and cons on single card vs. multiple card configurations (like 2 - GTX 460s or 560s). (Nvidia has a four-port card, but it is not in their GE-Force GTX line.)

thanks again!

How does the 6790 fare against the gtx 460 at the same price point?

the hd-6790 murders the gtx-460 on every point....there is no competition

How does the 6790 fare against the gtx 460 at the same price point?
the hd-6790 murders the gtx-460 on every point....there is no competition
Murders the GTX460 on every point?....does that include the "same price point"?

These guys don't seem to agree...
or these guys...
or..well, I think we've established the fact that your internship at AMD still has some time to run before they make you CEO.

Hello +1 DBZ ;)

I think if 6790 was sold at 125-130$ price point it would make lot more sense, IMO.

I agree. At that price point it would make a compelling buy- unless you already owned a 5770 or similar.
I presume the price will drop after the initial fanboy/ill-informed customer "bigger number= better card" brigade have boosted Sapphire's (et al) coffers. I would also assume the non-Ti GTX560 would launch at the $150 price point also, so I'd pick AMD's card partners to drop their prices on the eve of the nvidia card's launch -standard spoiling tactics by both sides.

Geographic location does affect the retail prices of these cards. In my area, prices of MSI and Power Color branded HD 6870 cards equal or at times exceed the prices of the GTX 560 Ti cards.

I get more disgusted everytime I view trhe prices you pay for hardware. :(

Jesus, a HD6870 costing you $205, costs us $300.... Ouch! :haha:

@Leeky
On more 'social' aspect of this debate, don't you think having an graphic card (at least the higher end one) in your rig is a 'luxury'?

Definitely, but I know how others around the world feel when we pay even more for the pleasure of having the same item.

I wouldn't consider mid range GPUs a luxury, though when your hitting the $300+ barrier and upwards it certainly becomes one.

Yup, to get anything above that level, some may need to rob a bank or something like that.

A focus on real budget cards would be welcome . cards less than £60. its not sexy or oresome enough maybe?

Any discrete GPU below the $60 mark is essentially not worth it versus Sandy Bridge built-in graphics, for example.

Back