Top tech CEOs reportedly discuss how to stop Donald Trump at secretive private event

midian182

Staff member

The CEOs of giant tech companies don’t usually work together for the same cause. It often takes something that all parties have an interest in, such as Apple’s iPhone unlock case, for these rivals to join forces. Now, according to the Huffington Post, a new common goal has been found, as several top tech bosses, billionaires, and senior members of the Republican party came together this weekend to discuss stopping Donald Trump.

It’s claimed that the list of those who attended the American Enterprise Institute’s annual World Forum – held at a private island resort off the coast of Georgia – contained some of the top names in tech: Apple CEO Tim Cook, Tesla and SpaceX boss Elon Musk, Alphabet CEO Larry Page, and Napster creator Sean Parker.

Others in attendance included Mitch McConnell, Karl Rove, House Speaker Paul Ryan, Tom Cotton, Cory Gardner, Tim Scott, Rob Portman, and Ben Sasse.

Traditionally closed off to the press, political commentator Bill Kristol managed to file a report from this year’s event, describing it as being haunted by the spectre of Donald Trump. "There was much unhappiness about his emergence, a good deal of talk, some of it insightful and thoughtful, about why he's done so well, and many expressions of hope that he would be defeated," Kristol wrote.

The Post claims that, according to sources familiar with the meeting, much of the conversation regarding Trump revolved around "how this happened, rather than how are we going to stop him.”

Trump has been one of the few public figures to support the FBI in its case against Apple over the San Bernardino iPhone. This subject, and the one of encryption in general, allegedly started a raging debate between Arkansas senator Tom Cotton and Tim Cook.

Cotton was reportedly “pretty harsh on Cook,” over the CEOs refusal to cooperate with the FBI. "Everyone was a little uncomfortable about how hostile Cotton was," a source told the website.

Trump previously called for a boycott of Apple products (via a tweet from an iPhone) in response to the San Bernardino device unlocking case. He also added that he would “get Apple to start building their damn computers and things in this country, instead of other countries.”

In December, the presidential candidate said that as the internet was being used to radicalize people, he would “see Bill Gates” about “closing it up.”

Permalink to story.

Can't stop someone who is winning. I'm republican... don't really like the guy but ill give him one thing he has ballz. Other then that not a fan, but people are voting for him and hes winning. So I assume we the people are tired of a political person running this country.

After reading this article, I just knew it was written by Rob Thubron - then I looked up and I as right.

Can't stop someone who is winning. I'm republican... don't really like the guy but ill give him one thing he has ballz. Other then that not a fan, but people are voting for him and hes winning. So I assume we the people are tired of a political person running this country.

Depends on the political person I guess. :) Republicans don't like Trump because he's a) not actually a Republican b) completely under-qualified (didn't stop Obama though) and c) generally nuts. He's been a close friend of the Clinton's his whole life, and if he decides to run as a 3rd party candidate I wouldn't be surprised. It'll guarantee a Clinton victory and Trump will have the POTUS owning him a pile of favors. Hillary's already been breaking rules for friends for decades, so with Hillary backing him Trump very well may be the most powerful businessman in the world.

However, I'm surprised the tech bigwigs are against trump. Sure, he's against Apple's stance in the FBI probe, but a Trump nomination gives Hillary the best chance at winning and silicon valley would most likely have Hillary as their top choice.

However, I'm surprised the tech bigwigs are against trump. Sure, he's against Apple's stance in the FBI probe, but a Trump nomination gives Hillary the best chance at winning and silicon valley would most likely have Hillary as their top choice.

Contrary to the narratives spun by media, Trump is neither a true Democrat nor a true Repiblican. He is Trump. That's why everyone under the sun is attempting to stop him. Unlike all of the other political players, he isn't beholden to anyone.

Plus, he's the only one defending a strong immigration platform. His revised comments on H-1B are probably what provoked the techies to get involved.

Yea, Trump is Hillary in drag. He's just saying what most of us want to hear just to get elected.

If he wins the nomination, it won't matter whether Hillary or Trump wins, we'll get the same policies. If the GOP manages to keep the nomination from Trump, he'll just run as a 3rd party candidate and we'll end up with Hillary (or Sanders *shudder*).

Surely you don't use "he has ballz" as a qualifier to hold public office.

The problem is the voting public generally is just 'that stupid'... I don't like to say it but it's true. It's how Obama got voted in twice and how Trump will probably get a chance. They can't see lies right in front of their face, etc. A person can be so smart but people as a whole are so sadly stupid.

Man is certifiable, and so are his bovine followers. They're all behind him because "he can't be bought", and for "telling it like it is", all the while ignoring the fact that he was one of the people buying and paying to pull the strings of the yes-men politicians these sheep hate, and he's one of the billionaires that created this form of government that only looks out for the rich! SUCKERS! Why would you possibly believe he gives a s*** about you? He never has before!

The problem is the voting public generally is just 'that stupid'... I don't like to say it but it's true. It's how Obama got voted in twice and how Trump will probably get a chance. They can't see lies right in front of their face, etc. A person can be so smart but people as a whole are so sadly stupid.
You are saying a lots for yourself, you know you are part of the voting public

Yea, Trump is Hillary in drag. He's just saying what most of us want to hear just to get elected.

If he wins the nomination, it won't matter whether Hillary or Trump wins, we'll get the same policies. If the GOP manages to keep the nomination from Trump, he'll just run as a 3rd party candidate and we'll end up with Hillary (or Sanders *shudder*).
you bet

Hillary Clinton is beyond annoying. When male candidates spout platitudes and lie, it just seems more natural and easy to ignore. Hillary Clinton, OTOH, manages to nag incessantly while she's lying. As for Sanders, where the f*** did he come from? He just seems like some senile old fart Clinton hired from an old age home to make her look good.

As for any Republican in politics, all they do is offer a few platitudes about, "god and country" (*) to make you think they're on your side, then go back to Wall St. or lobbying when their terms are up.

(*) This is mainly to massage the egos and feelings of those in the "bible belt", which helps them continue to believe god has anything to do with 21st century human life.

What did Trump say that was racist?
Do I really need to give you quotes when there are literally hundreds of videos and news articles that have him say the most stupid things you will ever hear? He insulted the mexicans, the afro-americans, the muslims, the chinese and pretty much everybody that isn't white and american.
Hell... his own father is a known member of KKK and Donald Trump is refusing to condemn the KKK like any normal human (not politician, but human)

Did you know that people are chanting "Trump! Trump!" during events as a way to insult non-white people? Yep, he literally became the image of racism in America. Congrats to him.

What did Trump say that was racist?
Do I really need to give you quotes when there are literally hundreds of videos and news articles that have him say the most stupid things you will ever hear? He insulted the mexicans, the afro-americans, the muslims, the chinese and pretty much everybody that isn't white and american.
Hell... his own father is a known member of KKK and Donald Trump is refusing to condemn the KKK like any normal human (not politician, but human)

Did you know that people are chanting "Trump! Trump!" during events as a way to insult non-white people? Yep, he literally became the image of racism in America. Congrats to him.

Wow. Somebody drank all of the koolaid.

These comments are so incredibly amusing..

For one thing, I'm used to those in the tech sector edging towards conservatism. After all, we make good money and have a very poor understanding of how a society works -- it's only natural. However, to actually see so many comments from techies in support of Trump is shocking, and then I remember.. Us in the tech world aren't actually all that much smarter than the average *****.

This is a really sad point in American history.. Instead of embracing equality and innovation, we seek out demagogues who shout for moving progress backwards, restricting the rights of individuals and ceasing all development and innovation (let alone infrastructure maintenance) in the interests of lowering taxes for corporations and those in upper income brackets.

I'd really expect more from those of us that are charged with creating and driving the innovation that is really the last hope of increasing productivity and hence prosperity of those in the dwindling middle class. But sadly, I am not surprised..

You are saying a lots for yourself, you know you are part of the voting public

... NOT the part voting for that... guy... No way Trump should even be considered... But then I did more then listen to hype.

From my viewpoint, the tech giants are wasting their time. The man is stopping himself.

I'd rather have Cruz, than Trump. I'm still of the opinion that Trump is working for/with Hillary, and if he is the nominee, the entire media has a boatload of stuff they can unleash on him. He's given to, endorsed, and supported a TON of democrat candidates and causes. He does better with democrats in office, plus, with his ego, I can't see him giving up his "empire" to be president.

Well, I'm from the hood, where every other word out of the car stereos is "n****r". The bucks don't work here, they sell crack and smack from the time a Jewish lad would be making Bar Mitzvah. You should stop by sometime and develop a jones. Then you can preach equality as you hand over your paycheck to the local neighborhood dealers.

Oh, and that disappearing middle class everybody's running their mouths about, why they're out working so we can fund, "equality in schools", which amounts to pumping enough money into inner city schools to fund yet another generation of social entitlement babies. Babies which I might add, whose parents have never paid a dime in taxes, and babies who likely will amount to less than the nothing that their parents are worth.

Trump, Trump, Trump, yay! Now either come down here and find out you haven't a clue what you're talking about or STFU.

This is a really sad point in American history.. Instead of embracing equality and innovation, we seek out demagogues who shout for moving progress backwards, restricting the rights of individuals and ceasing all development and innovation (let alone infrastructure maintenance) in the interests of lowering taxes for corporations and those in upper income brackets.
I thought the article was about Trump, not Obama, both Bush's, Reagan, Clinton, Nixon etc.

Back