TechSpot

Toshiba Satellite hardware upgrade

By sh3r
Feb 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi Guyz,
    I have Toshiba Satellite C660-195 with Celeron Dual Core CPU T3500 @ 2.1 Ghz and 4GB ram. I want to upgrade my CPU for a better speed and performance (not videos and games!! ) because usually i have to run many virtual machines and heavy softwares. Are there any suggestions? would it be compatible with Corei 7 or something ? Is this possible anywayz?
  2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Most likely not, and it certainly won't work with the new generation (i5/i7) CPUs. If you're running VMs all the time I'd recommend replacing it with a laptop that has a 4 core, 4 thread (8 in total) CPU with lots of RAM (6GB+).

You current CPU is far from ideal for running VMs, given its lower performance characteristics.
  3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Cheaper, easier, faster to switch machines that to attempt a lovable repair of that one with those upgrades... It can be done, but you have to have a reason why you would wnat to do that.
  4. sh3r

sh3r TS Rookie Topic Starter

@raybay:
    reason is that : i am in the final year of my BS(Software Engg) and i have a course "Software for mobile Devices" i wanna do iPhone development by running mac as VM.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.