Toshiba Satellite powers off before booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Toshiba Satellite M65 has been working well for years. This morning it won't boot up. I press the power button and the "power on" indicators light and the fan spins for about six seconds and then it powers off.

The AC adapter light stays lit and the battery indicator is lit a steady green. I removed the battery and same thing on AC only. I removed and reseated the memory cards. Did the same with the HD. Also removed all power and held the power button down for 15 seconds. Also tried booting from CD with HD uninstalled.

My first thought was that the HD had crashed. But I suspect the CMOS battery. Is that likely?

Kamala

CMOS batter is not a likely cause until long after you have replaced the hard drive twice...
I suspect the hard drive or a memory module.
The Toshiba M65 came out in early 2005... and if you have had it for five years, your hard drive is likely worn out.
Open the case plate where the hard drive is stored, and tell us the brand and model of hard drive, memory configuration, and programs you are running.
You may still have a chance to recover data from the old hard drive by putting it into an external USB enclosure.... IF you do not make it worse by trying too many attempts to restart.
A new hard drive can be found at newegg.com, directron.com, ZipZoomFly.com, PCMall.com, CDW.com, Frys.com, TigerDirect.com, TechDepot.com, and many others for $50 to $80 depending on capacity and whether ATA or SATA drive ... the external USB enclosure will cost anywhere from $18 to $35 depending on brand and model.
If you do not have the Toshiba recovery disk set, you will have to order that from Toshiba... cost is about $35 including shipping.

Hard drive is Toshiba MK1032GAX. 1GB memory (2 X 512MB.) Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

I have the Recovery CDs which, if the hard drive was bad, I would expect to boot the system while the hard drive was pulled.

Shouldn't I be able to get to a cmos set up even with failed memory or drive?

It appears the hard drive has been already replaced once... as the original drive was 80 Gb, was it not?

Sometimes, the WXP Media Center Edition is a rough on hard drives... and if your 100 GB drive was in when you bought it in 2004 or 2005, the 100 GB drives were less reliable... some were 7200 RPM while others were 5400 rpm... the faster, the shorter the life. But the Toshiba hard drives were much more reliable than any others then.

No, if the hard drive is bad, the system will shut down before you get the setup... but you should get the CMOS if you had disconnect the hard drive.

If the hard drive is in the midst of major failure, you can risk any chance at recovery of valued files if you mess with it too much...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back