TechSpot

Toshiba shows off first TV based on Cell chip

By Jos
Oct 5, 2009
  1. Toshiba is hoping to take the television market to a whole new level later this year with the introduction of a 55-inch model based on the powerful Cell multimedia processor. The new Cell Regza 55X1 uses a variant of the chip found in the PlayStation 3 and some high-end computer servers from IBM, enabling "ultra-high-speed processing and recording, enhanced navigation and seamless network interactivity."

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

Holy cow, that is some sorta beast! I'll wait until the half-price sale is on though. :p

3. Oh Come on! .. I just bought my LCD 40" 1080p TV...Now this?
    I need time to use it man!!! I am already feeling last-gen.

4. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,652   +521

Why can't the PS3 do anything that sounds even half as impressive as this monster, 8 channels at once??? Thats a whole lot of TV, those crazy Japanese sure do like to watch their TV.

5. Tehoste

Tehoste TS Member Posts: 56

Do want. 3TB of storage! Damn, I have less in my pc. I'm asking myself how one person could record that much TV..

6. SlowCow

SlowCow TS Rookie

What a beast of a TV, I don't know if theres ever 8 things on TV worth watching at any one time though. Also how does one hook up 8 separate channels to a TV?

7. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 991   +90

Sweet now if only I could win the lottery.

8. So, one needs a mini reactor to power this beast? :p

9. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

With 8 grown-up movies playing at the same time, I can get back to work in seconds! Of course, for $11,200, work will need to pay me well.

10. Remember that scene in Back to the Future Part II with the video wall and Marty watching all those channels at once. I guess we're there.

11. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Guru Posts: 493   +23

mini? I'd have two on hand

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.