TechSpot

Toshiba shows off first TV based on Cell chip

By Jos
Oct 5, 2009
  1. Toshiba is hoping to take the television market to a whole new level later this year with the introduction of a 55-inch model based on the powerful Cell multimedia processor. The new Cell Regza 55X1 uses a variant of the chip found in the PlayStation 3 and some high-end computer servers from IBM, enabling "ultra-high-speed processing and recording, enhanced navigation and seamless network interactivity."

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,358   +402

Holy cow, that is some sorta beast! I'll wait until the half-price sale is on though. :p

3. Oh Come on! .. I just bought my LCD 40" 1080p TV...Now this?
    I need time to use it man!!! I am already feeling last-gen.

4. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 934   +106

Why can't the PS3 do anything that sounds even half as impressive as this monster, 8 channels at once??? Thats a whole lot of TV, those crazy Japanese sure do like to watch their TV.

5. Tehoste

Tehoste TS Member Posts: 59

Do want. 3TB of storage! Damn, I have less in my pc. I'm asking myself how one person could record that much TV..

6. SlowCow

SlowCow TS Rookie

What a beast of a TV, I don't know if theres ever 8 things on TV worth watching at any one time though. Also how does one hook up 8 separate channels to a TV?

7. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 904   +54

Sweet now if only I could win the lottery.

8. So, one needs a mini reactor to power this beast? :p

9. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

With 8 grown-up movies playing at the same time, I can get back to work in seconds! Of course, for $11,200, work will need to pay me well.

10. Remember that scene in Back to the Future Part II with the video wall and Marty watching all those channels at once. I guess we're there.

11. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Maniac Posts: 482   +8

mini? I'd have two on hand

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.