Toshiba shows off first TV based on Cell chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Toshiba is hoping to take the television market to a whole new level later this year with the introduction of a 55-inch model based on the powerful Cell multimedia processor. The new Cell Regza 55X1 uses a variant of the chip found in the PlayStation 3 and some high-end computer servers from IBM, enabling "ultra-high-speed processing and recording, enhanced navigation and seamless network interactivity."

The Cell chip is housed in a separate box that also serves as a DVR with 3TB of total storage. It also enables the Regza 55X1 to show up to eight channels on-screen at once, time-shift these channels simultaneously for 26 hours, and boot up a web browser based on Opera.

As far as technical specs go, the 55-inch set itself has a LED block array divided into 512 local dimming zones that contribute to a 5,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and 1,250cd/m2 brightness. It refreshes at up to 240Hz and has a seven-speaker sound bar at the bottom.

Toshiba will start selling the Regza 55X1 this December in Japan for no less than a million Yen -- or about $11,200 when it arrives in the U.S. early next year. Ultimately, the company wants to produce less pricey Cell-based models for the mainstream, and is reportedly considering selling the platform to other TV makers.

Permalink to story.

Holy cow, that is some sorta beast! I'll wait until the half-price sale is on though. :p

Oh Come on! .. I just bought my LCD 40" 1080p TV...Now this?
I need time to use it man!!! I am already feeling last-gen.

Why can't the PS3 do anything that sounds even half as impressive as this monster, 8 channels at once??? Thats a whole lot of TV, those crazy Japanese sure do like to watch their TV.

Do want. 3TB of storage! Damn, I have less in my pc. I'm asking myself how one person could record that much TV..

What a beast of a TV, I don't know if theres ever 8 things on TV worth watching at any one time though. Also how does one hook up 8 separate channels to a TV?

With 8 grown-up movies playing at the same time, I can get back to work in seconds! Of course, for $11,200, work will need to pay me well.

Remember that scene in Back to the Future Part II with the video wall and Marty watching all those channels at once. I guess we're there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back