TechSpot

TR/Dldr.Agent.aum & WORM/Sober.AB in email

By gooodjunkk
Aug 23, 2010
  1. What does it mean when a virus is detected in an email file with the .pst extension?

I just removed AVG Free anitvirus & installed Avira. Avira did it's first complete scan this morning & found TR/Dldr.Agent.aum & WORM/Sober.AB each in an old email (.pst) file.

I downloaded clrav.com utility from Kaspersky (to remove the Sober worm) & ran it without any parameters to terminate any viral processes & it reported "nothing to clean". I didn't want to run the utility with any parameters that would make it start deleting files, because there are emails in the infected files that I need to have access to (or at least save somewhere else before the files are deleted).

Is it possible Avira just detected email attachements in the files that I never opened & my machine isn't actually infected? Is there a way to remove the infections from the files & still be able to access the those emails?

I haven't done anything about the TR/Dldr.Agent detected.

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Broni

Broni Malware Annihilator Posts: 52,897   +344

I wouldn't be too alarmed. Some AV programs will see something, what some other AV didn't detect.
    Is it the very same computer, we just worked on few days ago?

Try to run BitDfender on-line scanner, the only one, which may actually show single email pieces.

Please run a BitDefender Online Scan

• Disable your antivirus program.
    • Click Start Scanner button.
    • Click Start scan button
    • Allow browser plug-in to be installed when prompted.
    • Click I Agree to agree to the EULA.
    • Please refrain from using the computer until the scan is finished.
    • When the scan is finished, click on View log.
    • Notepad will open with scan results.
    • Save the report to your desktop and post its content in your next reply.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.