TechSpot

Trillian 5 released, free for everyone via ads

By Matthew
May 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Trillian users rejoice: Cerulean Studios has concluded its lengthy beta period today and Trillian 5 has emerged with a new interface, additional features and a fresh business model. Entering public…

Read the whole story

2. bchen88c

bchen88c TS Member Posts: 23

love Trillian- been using it since beta 24 or something :D

3. yowanvista

yowanvista TS Rookie Posts: 82

I hope someone will make an adblocker just like Live messenger

4. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 974   +54

+1 to loving Trillian. I'd prefer to have the licence opposed to the subscription, but an ad based full version, assuming it's not too intrusive, is not a bad alternative either... I'll give it a try later. =o

5. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,602   +358

After paying for versions 3 and 4 I don't like the model change and the fact that they didn't add much on this update, innovation has only come on the mobile side and yet they want to keep charging for a new desktop version. Maybe I will just go back to ver 4.x.

6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,387   +425

Twelve bucks a year is really nothing. Except for an IM program of which there are a ton out there. I don't get it...

7. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TS Maniac Posts: 388

Ever since MSN 2011 I swapped out to Trillian permanently anyway... (long time user)

Does that mean that even though I've been using the free version now its laden with spam? :(

I heard from Trillian Blogs that its hitting the mobiles free as well, where its paid currently.

8. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,286   +232

I think it's more of a "bang for the buck" approach. For that $12 a year, you get a seamless continuously updating chat platform on your PC, mobile devices, even online through the website if you have to use someone else's computer. They have made Trillian more into full-blown multi-platform service than just a messaging software package.

I've been using Trillian for years, and I rather like things like the fact that it updates my chat history when I step away from the desk and move to my Blackberry. That said, I have yet to use version 5 on any platform, so it'll be interesting to see if there is much difference in performance or look/feel.

9. Its KILLING me. Its not like its an ad every now and then, its CONSTANT. It even pops up ads on your desktop when your not IMing.

Trillian has turned in to malware. So sad.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.