Trouble setting up VPN on Server 2003 with dynamic ip

By xxdanielxx
May 27, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey I am helping this person who wanted to setup a VPN. I installed an extra GB LAN card into his server. But I am having trouble getting it to, does he need to have a static IP or can he use his DHCP from his ISP provider thanks
  2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,578   +76

Can this NIC support Windows Sever 2003? Some of them don't have drivers for or have some issues? Does this NIC work. Did you load balance it?
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,285   +281

Which direction is the connection? From home user ---> VPN into ---> work location? Or is it the other-way-round; work-->home?

Normally the business sets up a VPN interface for connection from various remote users or traveling salesmen.
    All Clients (ie remotes) will have DHCP dynamic addresses and security is done by
    password or PKI passphrases.
  4. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,578   +76

RSA Secured ID token, keyfob an etc.. pin then passcode from the RSA using Cisco VPN Client or Nortel VPN Client. I prefer Cisco VPN easier.
  5. xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 1,214

Hey i have not been here but this is what i have done the problem is he does not have a static ip so i need to register with a http://www.dyndns.com/. then I was able to get it going thanks
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.