TechSpot

Trouble with IE "Cannot open the page"

By scooter125
Jan 20, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Having trouble with IE, and occasionally Firefox in that they simply can't find the websites (Yahoo, CNN, all common). No problems on my other PCs. Older PC running XP home. I'm currently running IE 8 Beta only because I thought that might help. No change. Thanks in advance.
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Please do all this

Uninstall Ad-Aware
    Uninstall SuperAntiSpyware
    Uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy

Run the McAfee Removal Tool

Uninstall your AVG Antivirus
    Then run the removal tool

Stop WinPatrol from starting with Windows, or uninstall it (preferred)

Stop RegistryBooster from starting with Windows, or uninstall it (preferred)

-----------

Restart

Install Avira free AntiVirus

Start up Malwarebytes again; Update it; then run a full scan (remove all found Malwares)
    You need to run this multiple times, until all hidden Malwares are uncovered and removed

There you go ;)
  3. scooter125

scooter125 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the very quick reply. I ran Malwarebytes again and it came up clean. However, I still get the "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Page" when opening IE. Could this be something other than malware. I've attached the latest HJT log.

Also, a couple of questions:
    Do you not recommended keeping ad-aware or spybot at all? What do I use for spyware? Will Avira catch spyware as well?

Thanks very much!
  4. kimsland

Lets leave the Qs to the end ;) (Mind you Avira and Malwarebytes are the best)

Please do another scan with HJT, and fix all of the following
    Make sure your Internet browser is closed before selecting fix all
    Restart and report back, on Internet etc
  5. scooter125

Fixed as suggested, but still no joy with IE. Another log attached.

Thanks for your attention.
  6. kimsland

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
    2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
    3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
    4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
    5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

Note for users who cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.
  7. scooter125

Seems to be working ok now. Thanks

I have one follow on question: I've found several parts of programs that I thought were deleted but some files remain. For example, World Of Warcraft was uninstalled, but I've found many files and even Macromedia Dreamweaver within those folders, which do not show up on Add Remove Programs. How can I safely delete all these? Can I just hit the delete button, or is there a utility that can find files previously associated with a program which is now uninstalled?

Thanks
  8. kimsland

CCleaner has a registry fix button as well ;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.