TechSpot

Trying to format Maxtor 120GB HD.........[please help]

By elmcity
Jun 5, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,
    I have Maxtor 120GB HD that i want to format but do not know how i should go about doing this. My main drive( that came with pc ) is 200GB and i wanted to format the 2nd one(maxtor ultra 120). The included maxblast software will let me format but, i want format with windows xp. I tried fromatting from windows(by right clicking on drive)and was not able to format.
    Fdisk does not see drive either or maybe i am doing something wrong. How should i do this?
    Please help :hotouch:
  2. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

Use disc management.
  3. Vimes

Vimes TS Rookie

Control panel>administrative tools>computer management
    in the disk management section right click and format
  4. Grok451

Grok451 TS Rookie Posts: 122

You should be able to use the utility and instructions that came with the Maxtor drive. The drive will be formatted correctly for your OS as usually the Maxtor instructions help you through the process. You could use XP disc management, but it sounds like you're somewhat of a novice at this.

Check out the Maxtor support site: http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1171
  5. elmcity

elmcity TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you,
    Disk manage helped, the drive is formatted but GoBack does not see the drive. I can see the drive but GoBack just shows my main drive and it's backup partition.
    what next :giddy:
  6. IronDuke

I'd try re-installing Goback.
  7. elmcity

elmcity TS Rookie Topic Starter

did that and i even got an update for goback, still no love
  8. IronDuke

I'm not familiar with Goback, have you used a file system it recognises? Does it offer more features than system restore?
  9. Peerob

Peerob TS Rookie Posts: 68

If you download powermax from the maxtor web site you can reformat your hard drive. But I found the seasiest way to use disc management. If you cant see the disc in disc management then check your connecyions. Is this a SATA drive? If so check your integrated peripherals settings in BIOS :approve:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.