Trying to Install Win 7 Pro (32bit) over Win XP

DemonVenom

So... as the title implies I am Trying to Install Win 7 Pro (32bit) over Win XP on a Toshiba Satellite P200-RT1 Laptop.

When I begin the install it eventually pops up " Windows could not retrieve information about disks on this computer" .
Most people suggest ..."This error usually can occur because the VDS is set to disabled. To resolve it, you need to enable the “Virtual Disk” service."
The problem is when I run SERVICES.MSC Virtual Disk Service isn't listed anywhere, so then people suggest to run devmgmt.msc, expand the drives, go to Properties, Volumes Tab & click "Populate" then Insert the Windows 7 installation disc and launch Setup.exe.
Still I get the same error (Even when I dont click ok in the volumes Tab and leave it up)... Is there something I'm Missing or is there another possibility for this issue?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help shed some light here!

First of all. What are you doing.? A full install of 7 . If so you will need to wipe the hard drive first.

Yes a full install of Win 7, sorry if that wasn't clear. So I can't just install Windows 7 if XP is on the drive? Hmmm, so how do I wipe the drive?

You could use a program such as killdisk. Which wipes the hard drive as to the day it was bought. The install your win7 disk and format the drive. Windows should install then. Most retail computers can be a pain. When it comes to not using their OS. But first of all before you do this. Do you have the Bios setup to boot from the cd drive. If not this may also be what stopping you.

Yep it's set to boot from CD but now for some reason it's bypassing that and not giving me the "Hit any key to boot from disc" option.. instead it just loads to XP.
But it's set to boot first in the bios still and the CD/DVD drive works once I'm in XP

Naw... "from inside" is where I run into "Windows could not retrieve information about disks on this computer"... but I just went back and changed the boot order to H/D first, then switched it back to CD/Dvd player and it gave me the boot from CD option... So I'm waiting to see what happens now.
Last time I made it this far Win 7 went through the install process but then when it restarted instead of finishing the install I kept getting a "Black Screen".

I read...
Installing Windows 7 it fails to play nice with machines that have an AMD/ATI Radeon graphics processing unit (GPU)
Something to do with embedded DisplayPort (eDP) technology.
People that attempted to install Windows 7 found a black screen is displayed during the installation process.

I thought that was my issue but I checked once I got back to XP and this has an intel GPU of some sort.

I'm 80% through the Win 7 install now but fear that I will "hang" on a Black Screen in the end again. If that happens should I just make a new thread for that issue ya think?

Not really. Lets see what happens now. It could have been fluke. Or it could be the hardware is to old..

Okay so it got to the final stage of the install of Win 7 Pro (32-bit) and went to a black screen after the win 7 logo... I tried hooking up an external VGA monitor but it doesn't present an image either... I think the VGA "drivers" were missing in the win XP install

Ok your best bet would be to wipe the drive. Or try to format it with Xp Like you did your other laptop. Then try installing 7. Or as stated before the hardware is to old.

I did try the format with XP first route... So I guess wipe the drive and try a Win 7 install then. But won't that delete any drivers etc. I may need? like the CD/DVD drive drivers in order to boot from the CD?

It should not. The cd/dvd rom should not need a driver to read the disk. It would be like you were installing a new hard drive. So if you think about it. When you install a new drive. Then install your OS from the dvd. Dose the cd/dvd have drivers then no. The bios will let the cd/dvd rom read the disk. How old is this laptop?

Makes sense... So I have gone in through the Win7 install and Formatted the drive from there before attempting the install... but you suggest using killdisk instead (the name freaks me out) and then trying? I'll give it a go now as I really have nothing to lose at this point... If you are around by then I'll let you know how it goes, If not I look forward to your feedback when you are... and thanks for all your help thus far!

Your welcome all killdisk dose is write 0's to the drive. Which in turns clears all data of the drive. Puts the drive back to a state were nothing has never been install on it. In turn lets you reformat it and install your OS on it. I will check back and see how things went. Hopefully great.

Okay so I tried everything, but I finally figured this out! Here's what I did...
I Installed Win 7 to the point where it restarts after the copying process has finished...Now
1) Before bootup, press F8 to enter the boot menu
2) Select 'Safe Mode' and the boot process will begin
3) Once booted you will be presented with the following warning: "Windows cannot complete the installation in safe mode, to continue installing windows restart computer" NOTE: Do not click 'OK' or press Space/Enter
4) Press SHIFT+F10 to open the Command Prompt
5) Type compmgmtlauncher into Command Prompt and press 'Enter' (It may take a few seconds to display)
6) Now Click on 'Device Manager'
7) You can now disable (not uninstall) any device that you believe is causing the failure to boot.

* I disabled the VGA driver that had the "Yellow Triangle with the Exclamation Point" and BAM! once I exited out and the Laptop restarted Win 7 Finished the Install!

Thanks for your help and I hope this Helps someone else... Is there a way to mark this "Solved"?

Very good. Glad to hear this. Just wandering how old is this laptop.? I have not ran across this in ages. They do not mark them solved here, But do leave them posted for other. people to read.

Don't know if anyone is still following this post but, I solved this exact problem by transferring the new Win 7 Home Premium disk to a USB thumb drive. Stuck it in the old xp machine, then went to Windows Explorer and found the start exe. file. It loaded and installed without any problems.
Its taking longer to update the program than it did to install it.

Back