Trying to upgrade my graphics card, GeForce 6150se 430

Okay, recently purchased an hp slimlines5503w. Its running a pegatron corps mother board (narra5).
Max output on my power supply is 220w (I know its small).

So im looking for something compatible. I need it to be low profile, due to the case design. It has two pci e x1 ports and and one pcie x16 port.

Anything else you would need to know please tell me.
I'm not looking for the most powerful card, just something better than the geforce 6150se nforce 430 that is built in to the motherboard.

Thank you for helping

1. Motherboard - pegatron corps mother board (narra5)
2. Graphic interface - notsure
3. Memory - 3gb mem
4. CPU - AMD sempron 140
5. CPU Speed -2.7
6. Power Supply Make/Model - HP/ tfx022od5wa
7. Watt output/Amperage - 220w/ +12v~16a

I am in united states. Looking to spend about 100-200. I only watch tv and movies, web surf ,and the kid plays some online game, runescape.

To be honest, you're not going to get much of an improvement using such a low wattage power supply.

Although the case is slimline, it is possible it is fitted with a standard ATX PSU. If you are unsure, you could take a picture of the label on the side of it and post it here for us to check what your options are moving forward.

In order to improve GPU performance you're almost certainly going to need to replace that power supply though. Being a slimline case you'd also need to check you have enough height clearance for an aftermarket GPU as well.

Also, your Sempron 140 is going to bottleneck with more powerful GPU's pretty quickly. So you also need to consider this -- given your intended usage it shouldn't be an issue though, but is a point worth making none the less.

Personally, I don't think the machine is worth spending money on. Slimline cases are not really designed for upgrades and usually to accommodate the slimline upgrading would be more expensive. This is not to mention the age of the machine, parts may be hard to find. However there are options still available if you are willing to spend money for them.

I don't care for eBay but I did notice there was a 400W power supply for $89 out of Texas that will work with your case.
Newegg search for TFX12V power supplies, ranging between $20 and $80 dollars.

Motherboard Specifications, M2N68-LA (Narra5
Processor upgrade information:
  • TDP: 95W
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    NOTE: Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard.
    • AMD Phenom II Quad-Core
    • AMD Phenom II Triple-Core
    • AMD Phenom Quad-Core (A) 9xxx series (AM2+)
    • AMD Phenom Triple-Core (T) 8xxx series (AM2+)
    • AMD Athlon X4
    • AMD Athlon X3
    • AMD Athlon X2 (B) (AM2+)

Here are a few AM2 CPU I found (AM2 CPU's are harder to find these days):

Newegg search for low profile graphics cards. Any of these cards will be more powerful than the graphics you currently have. As Leeky mentioned though adding a GPU would probably need more power than the 200W's you currently have as well as being bottlenecked by your single core CPU. I know you give a budget of $100 to $200, however I hope you can see that it's not so simple as simply adding a card.

Thanks for all the info. The current set-up is doing okay. My issue is if i drop down the screen resolution, the monitor stops displaying. I also have to run the screen refresh rate at 60 hertz to even see the screen.

anything to correct this easily?

also says on this tag here that its a AM3 socket (938)

If you do indeed have the Narra5, I'm not sure why the specifications would have "Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard" and the case says its a AM3 socket (938).

If you do have a AM3 CPU socket then any of these CPU should work.

How could I find out if its am3 or am2 with out actually removing parts?
Doing a google search on amd sempron 140, it states its an am3 socket.

Nevermind, just found an article stating that the sempron line of products can run on both am2 and am3 sockets.
so you are correct.

Thanks for all the info. The current set-up is doing okay. My issue is if i drop down the screen resolution, the monitor stops displaying. I also have to run the screen refresh rate at 60 hertz to even see the screen.

That sounds more like a driver issue... But out of interest why would you ever change the screen resolution or refresh rate?

Okay so it took a little doing. I have salvaged a amd athalon 64x2 dual core processor from a dead pc. installed and works fine.

Changed out my monitor, and everything seems fine.
The lower refresh rate and resolutions made the picture quality really bad.

So all in all this is solved. Thanks for all the help and advice!

Back