Two typed of AMD 955 BE and 965 BE

Status
Not open for further replies.

princeton

Hi,

So I have been surfing newegg and I have noticed there are 2 of each of the cpus listed in the thread title. Does anyone know the difference between them as they share names.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103692
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

clarification would be appreciated as nobody seems to know. Not even AMD support....

I can not tell the difference between the specs of the two 955's but the difference between the 965's is that the first one has a TDP of 140 watts, while the second is a later revision with a TDP of 125 watts.

I can not tell the difference between the specs of the two 955's but the difference between the 965's is that the first one has a TDP of 140 watts, while the second is a later revision with a TDP of 125 watts.

I did notice that but the 955s look equal. Also has AMD thought about bringing their cpus to a non obscene power usage amount? The i5-750 performs better and only uses 95W.

AMD support don't know their own steppings?

The first 955 you listed ($169.99 + shipping, HDZ955FBGIBOX ) is C2 stepping (stepping codes AACYC AC and CACYC AC )
The second 955 ($167.99 + shipping, HDZ955FBGMBOX) is the later C3 stepping (stepping code CACAC AC)

140/125w TDP is unfortunately a by-product of a very old (in tech terms) architecture. The 125w is here to stay for the forseeable future- at least until Bulldozer- if and when that arrives.

AMD support don't know their own steppings?

nope, when I saw CPU's listed like this last month, I had to ferret out the stepping info as well.
@ princeton, get the latter stepping. aside from any improvements and 'fixes' it may afford a bit of an higher overclock if that matters to you.

nope, when I saw CPU's listed like this last month, I had to ferret out the stepping info as well.
@ princeton, get the latter stepping. aside from any improvements and 'fixes' it may afford a bit of an higher overclock if that matters to you.

I wont be water cooling but im shelling out for an $80 cpu cooler so yah any overclock improvement matters. Also sorry that this sounds stupid but what is bulldozer? Would that be a cpu on a new socket like AM3+ or AM4? I'm a gamer and since the i7 offers little improvement over this at 4GHZ at 1920x1200 and the i5 socket lga 1156 has no longterm future due to intels *****ic tick-tock motto AMD is my better choice.

Also im looking at cpu coolers for it and have my eye on the arctic cooling freezer 64. Does anyone have any suggestions/changes to my cooler choice?

I wont be water cooling but im shelling out for an $80 cpu cooler so yah any overclock improvement matters. Also sorry that this sounds stupid but what is bulldozer? Would that be a cpu on a new socket like AM3+ or AM4? I'm a gamer and since the i7 offers little improvement over this at 4GHZ at 1920x1200 and the i5 socket lga 1156 has no longterm future due to intels *****ic tick-tock motto AMD is my better choice.

AMD propaganda I think. Bulldozer will more than likely use a different socket than AM2+/3, especially if AMD want to integrate tri-channel memory, so you could argue that AMD's current socket has a little over less than a year left.
That doesn't mean that AM2+/3 immediately becomes irrelevant, just as the arrival of LGA1366 and 1156 hasn't rendered LGA775 wholly obsolete just yet- and LGA1366 debuted sixteen months ago.
Regardless of whether you choose AMD or Intel, in future you could be limited to one CPU line per socket. Intel's Sandy Bridge (LGA1155, 32nm process 65/95w, likely PCIe 3.0, native SATA 6Gb/USB3) on P65/X68 boards in early 2011, Ivy Bridge (22nm) in late 2011-early 2012, to be followed by Haswell. If AMD are planning on keeping the same socket/architecture going in competition against Intel then AMD is done for.

I'd consider the ZALMAN CNPS10X FLEX ($50 inc shipping as well, if your chassis is wide enough to accomodate it.

I'd consider the ZALMAN CNPS10X FLEX ($50 inc shipping) as well, if your chassis is wide enough to accomodate it.

Im thinking of getting one just to turn in the aluminum and copper:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back