Unable to Remove Data From Flash Drive?!!!!??? Please Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben_tomlinson88

Last week i bought an Mp3 player, which can also be used as a flash drive/ USB Mass Storage, Last Night I loaded a video onto it to transfer it to another PC, i deleted all of the music off it so that the video would fit on, But After i had finished transfering the video over onto the other PC, I could not delete the video off my MP3 Player! it fills almost all of the room (512mb) on the Mp3, so i cannot put any of my music on it.

When I try to delete the file it comes up the an error message that the file is being used by another person or program, even though i am not using any programs with the USB drive. It never used to do this when i just had mp3s on it, so what has gone wrong?

Any help will be appriciated, Thank you

I Forgot to mention that my opperating system is windows XP.

I can put other files onto the Drive, and take them off again, just i cant remove the goddam video taht takes up all the memory. PLEASE Help getting flustrated with the fact that i only bought it last week and its already srewed up.

I have tryed to format it, however a similar error message is displayed about the drive currently being in use, however it diesnt do it with any other files that i can put on.
:dead:
Please Help Before i get the hammer out....... :knock:

I am clutching at straws here but is the vieo write protected? i.e. if you right click on the video then left click properties does it say anything about read only?
I am probably way of target here but it can't hurt to look

Marcus

No, Its not read only, but its 'archive' whatever that means!!!

Ive Traced the Problem to the 'explorer.exe' using the usb flash drive for somthing ( i dnt know what), but as you know when you close explorer.exe you cannot veiw most windows, however i CAN safly remove the hardware which was something i couldnt do with explorer.exe running and command prompt will also run when explorer.exe is not running.
Is there a way of formatting the Flash Drive in command prompt,

thanks for your help

Ben

Marcus said:
I am clutching at straws here but is the vieo write protected? i.e. if you right click on the video then left click properties does it say anything about read only?
I am probably way of target here but it can't hurt to look

Marcus
Hey, I'm having a similar problem in that I can't delete read only files from my MP3 player. What can I do about that?

go into a DOS- or Command box.
Then use the ATTRIB command, e.g. attrib -r X:*.* where X is MP3

Displays or changes file attributes.
ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A ] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [[drive:] [path] filename] [/S [/D]]

+ Sets an attribute.
- Clears an attribute.
R Read-only file attribute.
A Archive file attribute.
S System file attribute.
H Hidden file attribute.
/S Processes matching files in the current folder and all subfolders.
/D Processes folders as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back