TechSpot

Unable to Remove Data From Flash Drive?!!!!??? Please Help!!

By Ben_tomlinson88
Jan 4, 2005
  1. Last week i bought an Mp3 player, which can also be used as a flash drive/ USB Mass Storage, Last Night I loaded a video onto it to transfer it to another PC, i deleted all of the music off it so that the video would fit on, But After i had finished transfering the video over onto the other PC, I could not delete the video off my MP3 Player! it fills almost all of the room (512mb) on the Mp3, so i cannot put any of my music on it.

When I try to delete the file it comes up the an error message that the file is being used by another person or program, even though i am not using any programs with the USB drive. It never used to do this when i just had mp3s on it, so what has gone wrong?

Any help will be appriciated, Thank you

2. Ben_tomlinson88

Ben_tomlinson88 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

I Forgot to mention that my opperating system is windows XP.

I can put other files onto the Drive, and take them off again, just i cant remove the goddam video taht takes up all the memory. PLEASE Help getting flustrated with the fact that i only bought it last week and its already srewed up.

I have tryed to format it, however a similar error message is displayed about the drive currently being in use, however it diesnt do it with any other files that i can put on.
    :dead:
    Please Help Before i get the hammer out....... :knock:

3. Marcus

Marcus TS Rookie

I am clutching at straws here but is the vieo write protected? i.e. if you right click on the video then left click properties does it say anything about read only?
    I am probably way of target here but it can't hurt to look

Marcus

4. Ben_tomlinson88

Ben_tomlinson88 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 21

No, Its not read only, but its 'archive' whatever that means!!!

Ive Traced the Problem to the 'explorer.exe' using the usb flash drive for somthing ( i dnt know what), but as you know when you close explorer.exe you cannot veiw most windows, however i CAN safly remove the hardware which was something i couldnt do with explorer.exe running and command prompt will also run when explorer.exe is not running.
    Is there a way of formatting the Flash Drive in command prompt,

thanks for your help

Ben

5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

6. hbmelon

hbmelon TS Rookie

Hey, I'm having a similar problem in that I can't delete read only files from my MP3 player. What can I do about that?

7. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

go into a DOS- or Command box.
    Then use the ATTRIB command, e.g. attrib -r X:*.* where X is MP3

Displays or changes file attributes.
    ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A ] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [[drive:] [path] filename] [/S [/D]]

+ Sets an attribute.
    - Clears an attribute.
    R Read-only file attribute.
    A Archive file attribute.
    S System file attribute.
    H Hidden file attribute.
    /S Processes matching files in the current folder and all subfolders.
    /D Processes folders as well.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.