TechSpot

Understanding SSDs: the need for TRIM, overprovisioning, and more

By Julio Franco
Jun 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A number of years ago, the storage industry got together and developed a solution between the OS and the SSD by creating a new SATA command called TRIM. It is not a command that forces the SSD to immediately erase...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

Wow. Amazing article.

Littleczr likes this.
  3. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

Great article. Thanks!

4. DanUK

DanUK TS Enthusiast Posts: 193   +8

Great article!

5. p51d007

p51d007 TS Booster Posts: 333   +51

Great article, but, with all of the tricks that have to be done, in order to save read/write to the nand, I'll stick with the old mechanical drives a while longer. The advantage of an SSD is usually with the boot speed?, but I don't reboot my computers but about once a month...at that.
    Also, other than photoshop, speed isn't that much of a concern for my use, to justify the price cost difference of an SSD versus a platter HDD.

6. With ssd PS starts like it was minimized
    PS open 1gb file in a 1-2 seconds (if it is on the ssd)
    time to save is like 10% of the regular 7200 hdd
    ofc, if you r working for web only, the ssd isnt big thing

7. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

Damn, I don't take showers often enough. I shall be back with my experience after I've acquired one.

8. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 449   +80

Thats why you use both. It's not exactly expensive to buy a 120Gb SSD now and use that for booting and some apps.
    It's soo much more than just boot speeds, everything is snappy and fast!

DanUK likes this.
  9. James Katt

James Katt TS Rookie

The biggest argument I have against enabling TRIM is that TRIM is a SATA command.

What if the SSD is connected via PCIe, USB 3.0, FireWire, or Thunderbolt - such as on Macs or PCs. The Mac won't even recognize the drive as an SSD. Enabling TRIM would be USELESS for SSDs connected these other ways.

Haven't SSDs (such as OWC Mercury SSDs with SandForce controllers) evolved to the point they don't need TRIM - particularly when the SSDs are not attached via SATA?

10. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

Unfortunately no - not to my knowledge. SCSI has the UNMAP command which is analogous to TRIM so that's 2 buses/interfaces covered.

Not sure what PCIe based drives would do. Surely someone has analysed this scenario.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.