Uninstall ubuntu

By dock98
Oct 29, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i installed ubutu.it wasn't compatable with my dsl. i tried uninstalling and got a message that said grub loader error etc.i tried going to run/command.exe but windows wouldn't find it.any help would be greatly appreciated.i reinstalled ubutu so i could go to my wxp.how do i get rid of it.
  2. Po`Girl

Po`Girl Newcomer, in training Posts: 668

Hi,

Boot into your XP CD enter the Recovery Console and type -

fixboot c:
    fixmbr

That restores the XP bootloader.

Then boot in to Windows and go to Disk Management (Control panel/Administrative Tools)

and then delete the Ubuntu partition.

Look HERE for other commands that might be needed,and other scenarios.
  3. robin_bga

robin_bga Newcomer, in training Posts: 258

Wow Po'girl, i didnt know that even Girls visit this site, Woooow i would love to get such excellent advise from a female.Cool am sure u r HOT.
    To add on to that, i think it would be better to use the command prompt and type fdisk /mbr it is more effective that fixboot or fixmbr, u can use a 98 boot cd or disk.

Roxoxox
  4. Po`Girl

Po`Girl Newcomer, in training Posts: 668

"Po`Girl" is a brilliant band.

Glad you think they`re hot.:D

EDIT : Yes, there are several strategies.

Thought I`d start with the simplest,and link to the others.
  5. dock98

dock98 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks, i have re-installed wxp 64.that solved my grub problem.after reinstalling wxp i cannot find two of my hard disks on the computer.not even in the administrative tools.any suggestions?one of them still has ubuntu on it.also my machine does not have a floppy drive.
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,277   +223

Do the drives show up in the BIOS? If so, then maybe you forgot the necessary SATA driver to make them show up in Windows? Linux did absolutely nothing to your drives that would make them not show up in Disk Management.
  7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

If you are connecting your modem via USB (not recommended), then yes, you may have issues using your DSL. If you're connecting your DSL modem via network cable to your computer or to a router, your DSL is "compatible".

If you currently use a network cable to connect to your modem or you connect through a router, then chances are your network card isn't supported. This requires troubleshooting and is a similar situation to installing network card drivers under Windows, although often much more complicated. :)

I know... too late now... but it still might be good for you to know. :)
  8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Any drive (partition, actually) ubuntu is installed on will be formatted with a native linux file system like Ext3. Windows cannot read Ext3 without some outside help.

However, the disks SHOULD show up in drive management. Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc

If they don't show up here, you've got yourself a hardware problem.
  9. dock98

thanks,u guys r great.i will try all of the suggestions.i will let you know my results
  10. dock98

well,its done i have my drives bak and my machine is smokin again.again i want to say thank.i coudnt have done it without you.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.