TechSpot

Uninstalling mcafee

By vhawk
Jun 4, 2008
  1. the chap who rebuilt my computer couple of years back kindly- so he thought- installed mcafeebut apparently he didn't do it right and i get a messafge to that effect at startup.

when i go start/programs i can see mvafee listed but neither myuninstaller nor the windows uninstaller can find it and it is not listed

i can live with the error message at start up but i'd rather not

anyone got any ideas to help out this stupid old cripple?

the odd thing is kaspersky did not complain about it when i installed that

2. nobardin

nobardin TS Rookie Posts: 260

http://www.ccleaner.com

Download and install that..run it and scan your pc and fix any errors it finds then scan your registry and fix any errors it finds.

Let us know if that solves your issue.

3. vhawk

vhawk TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 224

thank you but i am worried it might do the same thing asAdvance Windows Care, namely install a popup blocker that stops me reading my gmail and deleting my dragon naturally speaking profiles

4. larryiam

larryiam TS Rookie Posts: 577

5. larryiam

yes let us know

6. vhawk

so it won't screw up my computer? and delrte the things i need and want and install a popup blocker i don't need or want?

7. larryiam

no it want. it removers unwanted files from your computer. NO spyware, adware, etc.

8. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,457   +228

vhawk, if it helps, I use Ccleaner all the time on several PCs and never had any of the problems you seem concerned with. It's a quite useful utility.

9. vhawk

thank you, can it be used by someone like myself who understands virtually nothing about computers and to whom most of the technical terms are meaningless?

10. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,457   +228

Generally, yes. The program does more than one thing. You can clean the registry and Ccleaner does that pretty safely. Even so, you are given the opportunity to save it so you can restore the deletion just in case. For what it's worth, I've never had any problems requiring restoration.

Another feature is you can also get rid of temporary files, cookies, browsing history, .dat files and other files that you might want to clear out from time to time.

Another is you can also use it to uninstall programs just as if you were doing so through Add and Remove Programs but you don't have to use this feature if you don't want.

When you uninstall most programs they leave behind some files and registry entries. I use Ccleaner a lot to help clean up this miscellaneous junk.

11. nobardin

Amazing..people come here for help..you say here try this and they think you are trying to give them spyware/adware or something worse. If you don't trust people then why come to a site and ask for help. How insulting and ridiculous.

12. vhawk

you are absolutely right and i apologise unconditionally- pleas forgive my stupidity

13. nobardin

Hey Vhawk,

It's ok mate. Have we gotten your issue resolved? If not please let us know so we can get it fixed for you.

I see your location is England UK, that's cool. Hopefully i'll be living in the UK soon too =). Who knows we may walk right past each other and never know it =p

14. vhawk

if i could walk past anyone i'd be jolly glad as iam in a wheelchair:)- after ihave done analyse i'm not sure what i'm agreeing to- or rather, to what i am agreeing if i click on run cleaner- i can't see anything about mcafee and i kinda like the things that firefiox remembersi know i am being irritatibly overcautious but i don't know what its going to do

15. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 4,048

Remove Mcafee products
    1. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
    3. Select the McAfee SecurityCenter product.
    4. Click Remove and follow the steps provided.
    5. Download the Mcafee removal tool from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
    6. Click Save and save the file to your desktop
    7. Make sure all McAfee windows are closed.
    8. Double-click MCPR.exe to run the removal tool. (Vista users need right click and run as administrator)
    9. Restart your computer after receiving the message CleanUp Successful.

Not a bad idea to run CCleaner, just uncheck firefox on the application tab altogether and it wont mess with it. Ccleaner removes temporary files. Also make sure that old prefetch data is unchecked

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.