UNSHARE printers not files

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkmsr

I want to share my files over the network, it's just that I don't need my printers and scheduled tasks to be shared.
Here is what my configuration looks like:
Windows XP professional installedmachine
● Simple file sharing is unchecked.
● Default administrative shares are disabled by this guide: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288164
● Computer Management -> System Tools -> Shared Folders -> Shares show nothing but my specific shared folders and the IPC$
● I've also deleted the entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Wi... "{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}" AND "{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}" from this guide: http://www.mcse.ms/message680751.html
● Printers in the control panel show that they are NOT being shared if I right click on them and select "Sharing..."

...but these 2 folders STILL SHOW UP when a machine on the network attempts to browse the host. How can I get rid of these remote folders???

kimsland: cant this be done by simple Right click and not share it? i mean go to the printer area and then unshared the printer.

correct me if i am wrong or am i missing something here?

Yes on USB, with printer setup without IP (this is in the printer settings - of the actual printer)
No on ethernet - because that means no one can use the printer !!

you are right but there is no printer connected with my system to enable file sharing in network setup wizard I enabled the option of file and print sharing since then it is there if I unselect during setup of network I can not share files on LAN I use FAT32 file system and the right click option works if you actually have a printer with your system which I do not have

I'm tired, I can't work out what you just said.
Anyway the printer has an IP, which allows it to be seen (not exactly shared) across a network

tkmsr, may i suggest you place some DOT on your sentences. hahha

maybe you want to try go to the (individual) folder that you want to share and right click > properties and share that folder only?

whitelatte said:
maybe you want to try go to the (individual) folder that you want to share and right click > properties and share that folder only?
You have not understood the problem man .I want to delete the printer and faxes folder which appears as a default share ,If you would have read my above post I have already mentioned that please read the thread carefully.

for locally attached printers (non-ethernet), you just use the properties to NOT SHARE.

for a network printer, the whole lan will at least see the ip-address of the device.
the trick to control it's usage then is to control which firewalls allow access to that
address.

eg: if you have systemA (192.168.1.2), systemB(192.168.1.3) and printer(192.168.1.4),
and wish to DENY printing (to this device) from systemB,
you add a firewall rule on systemB (and move it to the top of the list of rules)
deny dest-ip 192.168.1.4 port any​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back