TechSpot

UNSHARE printers not files

By tkmsr
Feb 18, 2008
  1. I want to share my files over the network, it's just that I don't need my printers and scheduled tasks to be shared.
    Here is what my configuration looks like:
    Windows XP professional installedmachine
    ● Simple file sharing is unchecked.
    ● Default administrative shares are disabled by this guide: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288164
    ● Computer Management -> System Tools -> Shared Folders -> Shares show nothing but my specific shared folders and the IPC$
    ● I've also deleted the entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Wi... "{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}" AND "{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}" from this guide: http://www.mcse.ms/message680751.html
    ● Printers in the control panel show that they are NOT being shared if I right click on them and select "Sharing..."

...but these 2 folders STILL SHOW UP when a machine on the network attempts to browse the host. How can I get rid of these remote folders???

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Are these USB or ethernet connected printers

3. whitelatte

whitelatte TS Rookie Posts: 19

kimsland: cant this be done by simple Right click and not share it? i mean go to the printer area and then unshared the printer.

correct me if i am wrong or am i missing something here?

4. kimsland

Yes on USB, with printer setup without IP (this is in the printer settings - of the actual printer)
    No on ethernet - because that means no one can use the printer !!

5. tkmsr

tkmsr TS Rookie Topic Starter

you are right but there is no printer connected with my system to enable file sharing in network setup wizard I enabled the option of file and print sharing since then it is there if I unselect during setup of network I can not share files on LAN I use FAT32 file system and the right click option works if you actually have a printer with your system which I do not have

6. kimsland

I'm tired, I can't work out what you just said.
    Anyway the printer has an IP, which allows it to be seen (not exactly shared) across a network

7. whitelatte

tkmsr, may i suggest you place some DOT on your sentences. hahha

maybe you want to try go to the (individual) folder that you want to share and right click > properties and share that folder only?

8. tkmsr

tkmsr TS Rookie Topic Starter

You have not understood the problem man .I want to delete the printer and faxes folder which appears as a default share ,If you would have read my above post I have already mentioned that please read the thread carefully.

9. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,348   +622

for locally attached printers (non-ethernet), you just use the properties to NOT SHARE.

for a network printer, the whole lan will at least see the ip-address of the device.
    the trick to control it's usage then is to control which firewalls allow access to that
    address.

eg: if you have systemA (192.168.1.2), systemB(192.168.1.3) and printer(192.168.1.4),
    and wish to DENY printing (to this device) from systemB,
    you add a firewall rule on systemB (and move it to the top of the list of rules)
    deny dest-ip 192.168.1.4 port any​

10. whitelatte

my apology, i guess i shouldn't be posting when it's too late. My apology.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.