Upcoming Intel NUC models with Core i5 , i7 CPUs detailed

By Jos
Apr 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Intel first announced plans to start selling small form factor barebones systems at last year’s Computex. Dubbed Next Unit of Computing (NUC), the diminutive machine represents a modern take on the traditional beige box, packing capable entry-level hardware into a...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,652   +507

Getting memory and storage for such device is simple, but internal Wi-Fi - not so much. Intel should have added one integrated.

And while such low-power system would be the prime candidate for supporting PoE, not only it doesn't, but it has no Ethernet port at all. The latter is completely a deal breaker.

Pointless device. You are better off putting one together yourself, any enthusiast can. It may not be as small, but surely a better configuration and for less money.
  3. Looking at the device on Newegg, it does have an Ethernet port.
  4. axiomatic13

axiomatic13 Newcomer, in training Posts: 21

These devices could be so much more useful with 2 Gigabit lan ports.
  5. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,797   +882

I See no point in this. I would rather buy a 7 inch tablet than this garbage.
  6. This device is great for what it is. I recently purchased the Ethernet i3 version of the NUC. I installed 16GBs of memory, 128GB SSD, and set it up within an hour. The NUC is attached to my TV through HDMI, makes no noise, plays 1080p videos, connects to my seedbox flawlessly, and if I really wanted to I could make it my subsonic server. Would I totally love to have a booming machine in my living room? Hell YES, however, my girlfriend is not too keen on the idea of loud fans that drown out everything in the room.

I would prefer to have USB 3.0 for storage, but I will just get that with the next iteration. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with this device because it fits my specific needs.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.