TechSpot

Update on AMD 28nm Southern Islands

By red1776
Jul 7, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,865   +690

"...TSMC is coming out with with 28nm products in Q3 [July-Sept]..we are fairly skeptical about this"
    And yet Chas asserts that 28nm SI is due in September....Who is making the 28nm wafers for them...Intel?

"Overall, we doubt that there will be any 40nm SI's, but technically speaking, it could happen"

So that's a quasi-definite maybe of a chance that 40nm is a possibility. That's some incisive journalism right there...perhaps.

2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Topic Starter Posts: 5,897   +88

:haha:

I think you may have stumbled onto a conspiracy here! ....Intel offers to make 28nm wafers for AMD in place of the behind schedule TSMC.....and really they are 29nm wafers! BWAHAHAHAHA

A firm possibility of a definite maybe! hehe
    hence my 'semi permanent' admonition...

3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,865   +690

4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Topic Starter Posts: 5,897   +88

yeah, Charlie seems to be applying a timeline from tape out to hitting the shelves for a established process. If they go from TO to retail in 10 weeks with a new node, it will be a first I think. I'm going to guess mid Feb '12

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.