Update on AMD 28nm Southern Islands

"...TSMC is coming out with with 28nm products in Q3 [July-Sept]..we are fairly skeptical about this"
And yet Chas asserts that 28nm SI is due in September....Who is making the 28nm wafers for them...Intel?

"Overall, we doubt that there will be any 40nm SI's, but technically speaking, it could happen"

So that's a quasi-definite maybe of a chance that 40nm is a possibility. That's some incisive journalism right there...perhaps.

"...TSMC is coming out with with 28nm products in Q3 [July-Sept]..we are fairly skeptical about this"
And yet Chas asserts that 28nm SI is due in September....Who is making the 28nm wafers for them...Intel?

"Overall, we doubt that there will be any 40nm SI's, but technically speaking, it could happen"

So that's a quasi-definite maybe of a chance that 40nm is a possibility. That's some incisive journalism right there...perhaps.

:haha:

Who is making the 28nm wafers for them...Intel?

I think you may have stumbled onto a conspiracy here! ....Intel offers to make 28nm wafers for AMD in place of the behind schedule TSMC.....and really they are 29nm wafers! BWAHAHAHAHA

A firm possibility of a definite maybe! hehe
hence my 'semi permanent' admonition...

This from Charles at S/A so...ya know

DigiTimes seem to have a different take...

I'm more inclined to trust DigiTimes than Chas's usual page whoring. I've no doubt that AMD will show demo's of the HD 7000 series this year. I don't think there will be a retail parts in the next 7-11 weeks. At this point in time SA has a miss-to-hit ratio in keeping with Stevie Wonder's tennis game.

yeah, Charlie seems to be applying a timeline from tape out to hitting the shelves for a established process. If they go from TO to retail in 10 weeks with a new node, it will be a first I think. I'm going to guess mid Feb '12

Back