TechSpot

Upgrade CPU whats best for me?

By sspeedy43
Jun 15, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello its me again,
    I have been lately noticing that my computer is not as good as most so, i need your help
    Should i get this "AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Socket 939 Dual Core CP
    it looks good is it? and even tougher question: should i just get a better computer currently i have lots of probs with it... My DVD laser is shot, i only have a gig of ram, i have a AMD Sempron 2.0 ghz and its a compaq all the details are here. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...95&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3184155

Thanks for your hellp u guyz!!!
  2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,894   +88

what do you do,and want to do with an upgraded computer, how do you use your computer?....oh yeah, welcome to TechSpot
  3. OLBY

OLBY TS Enthusiast Posts: 108

i prefer to change your mobo to an intel mobo,intel is better,thats what i think,
    you wellcome
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,813   +159

I would recommend going to an Intel setup too
  5. red1776

olby,
    how can you advise that without knowing how and for what his computing needs are? and if they have a price point they need met. different chips serve different performance and price/ performance needs.didnt you say you were going to school for this? imo you would do well to get off this blind fan boy rant you are on. just posting "i have a intel and its heavy duty" doesnt help anyone make a informed decision, or take into account a budget or what they use a computer for. .....ahem...thank you for your time :)
  6. sspeedy43

sspeedy43 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 37

i like gaming and a smooth performance. Does the CPU i buy have to be a 939 socket? I heard they were outdated. haha and i have a overheating prob with my graphics card lol
  7. red1776

Hi Sspeedy
    if your motherboard is a socket 939 then yes, unless you want to change mobos. the socket 939 is a bit dated, and can be relatively expensive for the top processors for that socket, but you can get decent performance with though. do you have a budget in mind for the cpu? the best 939 amd performance you can get is the x2 6000. with a good graphic card you can play most games at a decent frame rate. and you would notice a very significant boost in performance from your sempron( not amd's best processor by a long shot) you would also notice a boost from from a sempron to an x2 4200 as well (get the toledo core if you can) if you decide to keep the same system another GB of ram would improve performance as well. a few questions questions.
    do you have a budget for the cpu?
    what type of problems are you having with your current system?
    do you have a budget for a new system?
    if you decided to get a new system would you build it yourself? or buy a prebuilt?
    what resolution do you want to game at?

you may want to consider upgrading the system in whole, if you can. if you are having lots a of problems with it and good 939 cpu's are disproportionately expensive, and DDR1 ram right now is more expensive than DDR2, just something to think about
  8. sspeedy43

I have a budget yes if i can find a CPU for under 100 $ or close to it then great, but if that is high and my RAM price is high i could just buy a more recent computer as a whole and get even better performance, I would like to play games at high res , i am currently at 1280 x 1024 but the games somtimes go to 800 X 600 which really sucks and if i go higher it will majorly overheat (see picture) which computer is pre built for my needs? by the way, thanks for being intrested.
  9. red1776

His speedy, sorry ,didn't mean to abandon you, i was busy moving my family and I . if you still would like a recommendation for a cpu and alternatively :) a new system ,give me a holler.
  10. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,367   +125

I think a new computer is by far the best option.

About the new computer, red1776 may be an AMD supporter, but that does not mean his opinion are biased, another vote for AMD ^^.

The CPU won't help much, gaming performance will still be low since you don't actually have a graphics card, and integrated graphics rarely overheat so um...i'm not sure where your getting your temperatures.
  11. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

If you are spending close to $300, look towards building a new PC instead. It's not worth dumping that much money into a nearly-obsolete system like yours IMO.

12. red1776

I agree with Rage, especially with the problems you are having with your current system, and what HK said, the right cpu for the right needs/budget. BTW HK you talked me into one :) i just ordered a phenom II x3 720 via newegg....now if i could just get my hands on 4 hd 4770's :(
  13. sspeedy43

QUOTE ))The CPU won't help much, gaming performance will still be low since you don't actually have a graphics card, and integrated graphics rarely overheat so um...i'm not sure where your getting your temperatures.[/QUOTE]

I have a Nvidia Quatro FX 3400/4200 ITs huge but only has 256 mb vid mem i had to go buy a house fan to cool it
  14. sspeedy43

Whats is a good computer for me around 500 $
  15. Rage_3K_Moiz

Try this for that much:
    Grand Total = $470 approximately, not including rebates.

Should be fast enough for anything IMO.

If you cannot build, look at CyberPowerPC.com and IBuyPower.com for some ideas. They have lots of different configurations,so I'm sure at least one will suit your budget.
  16. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,367   +125

Are those the really expensive $1000+ workstation graphics cards?
  17. sspeedy43

Sudden error

Guys i have a huge prob all of a sudden this is the only site i have been able to get to ,...... my internet i think has a virus it redirects me to ads and i cant fix it i have AVG didnt work !! Help PLease ASAP
  18. Rage_3K_Moiz

Post a new thread in the Security forum after reading the guidelines posted there. Someone should be able to help you ASAP.
  19. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

red for your information the best cpu for a 939 is the fx 60 not the 6000 as you stated.
  20. red1776

yes Klepto, that should have read "the best one you can get your hands on" the fx 60 is exceedingly hard to find and would be foolhardy to purchase price wise for an antiquated socket, but nonetheless your right.
  21. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

On most good computer sales sites, you can find very good deals that include motherboard and processor, and even power supply and case... Those combo packages are usually for motherboards and processors that are being replaced by more recent models... but they have the advantage of having plenty of reviews and failure reports placed on line. You can find them with a Gurgle search.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.