Upgrading vid card. need input

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtBlades

I've been looking over many cards and finally found the best agp card I could find. Going from a Geforce 5200 fx 128mb (only of which has 98mb available now after extensive use) to a BFG Geforce 7300 GT 512mb.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3092427&CatId=2234
I have a 305watt psu (standard one that came with Dell Dimension 8300) and it's served quite well over the years I've had it.
I just want to see if anyone else knows of a better card that would go with my system or if they've had problems with this card before I buy it.
I don't really play high end games but if it can run at least CoD4 at decent settings I'm good.

The most ideal card for your setup would be a 7800GS or 7950GT, but they are becoming difficult to find. I could run COD4 no problem when I was using my old XFX 7950GT... it was one of the best AGP cards available when I bought it. You could try eBay or Amazon for the older tech but since they have become obsoleted, most mainstream sources will not carry them. Good luck.

woah snap. nice card for what I got but what I've seen the prices are insane. I think I should've put my price range: max $100.

That card is too much to pay for. You can get a HD 3850 from Newegg for $100 dollars but you need a 400W power supply with a GPU power cord to run it. You can get one of those for $25 dollars (585W) like I did and they are pretty easy to install. Worth it IMO for both.

I would not recommend a $25 PSU for anything, other than a non-gaming system that would be used solely for internet surfing and other general use such as listening to music.

That being said, I recommend an HD 3650 for you. Your PSU actually has enough power for an HD 3850, but since you say you have used it for more than a year or two, the actual available power may be quite inadequate for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back