Upgrading video card on HP Pavilion a1020n with ATI Radeon X1600 Pro PCI-e

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtissimpson

Firstly i went to crucial.com to check what gfx cards my computer was compatible with. It told me PCI-express

I bought the above gfx card.
The gfx card installation CD doesnt have instructions for its specific type of card (X1300), just a bunch of other ATI Radeons, which is ridiculous.
Its made by Sapphire so it figures.

Well ive never done this before, ive installed RAM which is easy but ive heard this is a bit more complex. Ive been told i need to first uninstall my current video drivers and possibly disable the onboard. My Current card is on a Intel® 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family motherboard. I also heard i have to hook a bunch of things up. Could anyone give me a walkthrough or point me in the direction of an installation guide?

Don't kill the messenger but....

It looks to me like for expansion slots, you are limited to PCI only. You do not have any PCIexpress slots on that motherboard, nor any AGP.

The card you purchased will not work in your system. You may want to wait for a second opinion before you toss it out your window, but I am 99.999999% sure.

I looked it up too. I looked at the photos at the Newegg website and read the specifications. I agree there are no AGP or PCI-E expansion slots. Only two empty PCI slots available.

My PC has an Asus Radeon X1900XTX PCI-E graphics card so I know what a PCI-E slot looks like.

Well then i need another graphics card then i guess.
Does newegg take exchanges or returns or am i gonna have to resell this.

Also what do you guys suggest that i purchase. Im looking to play the new elder scrolls game Oblivion.
It states i need one of these graphics cards:
A: Oblivion for PC supports the following video cards/chipsets:

* ATI X1900 series
* ATI X1800 series
* ATI X1600 series
* ATI X1300 series
* ATI X850 series
* ATI x800 series
* ATI x700 series
* ATI x600 series
* ATI Radeon 9800 series
* ATI Radeon 9700 series
* ATI Radeon 9600 series
* ATI Radeon 9500 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
* NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
* NVIDIA GeForce FX series (5700 or above)

Any suggestions on one i can get for under 150 bucks 200 tops? I bought the 512mb one i have now on newegg. If im limited to PCI though i dont know what i should get. Im looking for a good 256mb or greater card. Please help me out thanks.

Do you want the bad news or the.... um..... bad news?

This is one of the disadvantages of the "big name" computer makers, is that their budget level systems are rarely upgradable. Graphics cards for PCI type slots are nothing compared to the AGP or PCI express type graphics cards.

I think this is (arguably) the most powerful PCI card remaining on the market:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814139166

However, it is going to have a VERY hard time running Oblivion. It will be much better than your integrated graphics though. That's the good news.

I think im just gonna get a whole new motherboard at this point. Any suggestions for my situation? BTW the video card i bought is supposedly incompatible with many ASUS motherboards so thats out of the question. Its PCI-E too and i still want to use it.

Well, what kind of budget are we working with here? :hotbounce

Your CPU is socket 775, 533MHz

Can you give us the details of the ram you just bought? Is it DDR2 400? How many sticks and what size?

What other hardware (PCI cards etc) will you be needing to install?

Something like this looks like it'll fit the bill if you are on a TIGHT budget:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157086

But the thing I don't know is, does your current PSU have special HP power connections that will ONLY work on HP motherboards or not. You'll want to research that first (I may have time later, no promises ;) )

This is your computer, right?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883107007#DetailSpecs

Ya thats my computer

this is the ram i bought:
BUFFALO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model D2U533B-2GKIT - Retail

and i have the 2 sticks of ram that came with it that i dunno what they are exactly.

My budget is 100-150 bucks but im looking to spend less, i want something good for gaming though. the one i have now works good for gaming the only problem is intel is a bunch of bastards and slap ****ty graphics cards in there and make it hard to upgrade.

I'm thinking something like this would treat you well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131542#DetailSpecs

But there is another problem. Your current PSU is only a 250w psu. That won't be enough for the new mobo and the new graphics card. The good news is, you can get a solid psu for around $50 like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

Give me a second though. So far I have been assuming that case is ATX, but I am having a hard time confirming...

CPU-Z Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU-Z version 1.32.1.

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 1

Name Intel Pentium 4 518
Code Name Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
Family / Model / Stepping F 4 1
Extended Family / Model 0 0
Package LGA775
Core Stepping E0
Technology 90 nm
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
CPU Clock Speed 3065.6 MHz
Clock multiplier x 23.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 133.3 MHz
Bus Speed 533.1 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 3065.6 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Motherboard model Goldfish3, 1.xx
BIOS vendor American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS revision 3.18
BIOS release date 02/16/2005
Chipset Intel i915P/i915G rev. B1
Southbridge Intel 82801FB (ICH6) rev. 03
Sensor chip SMSC 7701

Memory
# of memory modules 4
Module 0 Melco DDR2-SDRAM PC4300 - 1024 MBytes
Module 1 Hyundai Electronics DDR2-SDRAM PC3200 - 256 MBytes
Module 2 Melco DDR2-SDRAM PC4300 - 1024 MBytes
Module 3 Hyundai Electronics DDR2-SDRAM PC3200 - 256 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX version 9.0c

Grrrrr. Nope. Your CPU is not on the list:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5GD2-X

I have to start getting ready for work soon, unfortunately. I will get back to you or if someone else comes along what we need is:

A motherboard for the following system: socket 775, 533fsb, DDR2 240Pin ram, SATA, and it must support the Pentium 4 518 CPU.

The other thing left to confirm is that the case for the HP a1020n is an ATX case, and an ATX mobo/psu will easily pop in there without any problems.

Before I go, I noticed something about your ram. You would probably notice a performance INCREASE if DON'T use those 2 sticks of 256mb once you get your new board. Since they are only 400Mhz, they will actually force your system to underclock ALL your ram, including the new ram to a lower speed. Your current board only supports 400Mhz anyways, so I doubt you'd notice a difference if you took the old stuff out now, but on your new board, I think this will be important.

2Gb of ram at 533Mhz is better than 2.5Gb at 400Mhz for gaming.

Your a godsend man, if you find me a motherboard and a PSU for a good price that both work great, and when i get em they work great with my RAM/Video card, ill paypal you some cash for all your help. Thanks.

Alright, I need some help from the Intel fans (I fully admit I know very little and haven't had one for MANY years).

CPU-z is showing his CPU as a model P4 518, 3.06Ghz.

Tom's "mother of all CPU charts" does not have this listed. What's the deal? Does he have the P4 "E" CPU 3066 Mhz Prescott? I'm trying to find a board that will support his CPU and couldn't find any (which is why I checked Tom's list, and wasn't too surprised that it wasn't listed).

Help.

CPU #1

Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: GenuineIntel Platform: LGA 775
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 (Prescott) Platform ID: 4
CPU Type: Original OEM processor
Name String: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
Instructions: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

CPUID Information:
Standard: Family: F Model: 4 Stepping: 1
Extened: Ext. Family: 0 Ext. Model: 0 Brand ID: N/A
Process: 90nm
Stepping: E0

CPU & Bus Speed:
CPU Speed: 3065.53MHz
CPU Multiplier: x 23.0 (14 - 23)
CPU FSB Speed: 133.28MHz
Bus Speed: 533.14 (QDR)

Basic Cache Information:
Trace Cahe: 12KOps
L1 Data Cache size: 16KBytes
L2 Cache size: 1024KBytes

sorry you guys are having so much trouble with this, theres the gcpuid readout. would it help if i jacked my cpu out and just looked what it says on it? lol, good luck, and thanks bunches.

The only part that is messing everything up is the fact that CPU-z is calling your CPU a "518", and the only explanation I can come up with is that it is making a mistake.

I just don't want to give up on ya though! We've come this far, as long as you're up for it let's keep at it. Unless someone comes along and sees (knows) something I don't, we'll have to keep doing it my way.

I'm pretty confident that if you bought the Asus board I mention above, you CPU would work in it, but I want to be 100% so........

I want a 3rd opinion. That software above doesn't give the CPU alias name. I want to see what everest reports it as:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/433-everest-ultimate-edition.html

Click on the "motherboard" link, then "CPU".

before i post the stuff i wanna make sure u remember that the motherboard i get has to be compatible with the video card i bought, and ive heard it doesnt work great with ASUS, however if asus is all i can get so be it, ill return the card for another. heres the report.

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3066 MHz (23 x 133)
Motherboard Name Asus PTGD1-LA (3 PCI, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale-G i915GV
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type AMI (02/16/05)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

[ Processors / Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz ]

Processor Properties:
Manufacturer Intel
Version Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
External Clock 133 MHz
Maximum Clock 3800 MHz
Current Clock 3066 MHz
Type Central Processor
Voltage 3.3 V, 2.9 V
Status Enabled
Socket Designation CPU 1
CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4
CPU Alias Prescott
CPU Stepping E0
Engineering Sample No
CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
CPUID Revision 00000F41h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 3065.6 MHz (original: [ TRIAL VERSION ] MHz)
CPU Multiplier 23.0x
CPU FSB 133.3 MHz (original: 133 MHz)

CPU Cache:
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache [ TRIAL VERSION ]
L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3066 MHz (23 x 133)
CPU Alias Prescott
CPU Stepping E0
Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Original Clock [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Min / Max CPU Multiplier 14x / 23x
Engineering Sample No
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache [ TRIAL VERSION ]
L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

CPU Manufacturer:
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/processor.htm

CPU Utilization:
CPU #1 5 %

--------[ CPUID ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPUID Properties:
CPUID Manufacturer GenuineIntel
CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
CPUID Revision 00000F41h
IA Brand ID 00h (Unknown)
Platform ID 25h (LGA775)
IA CPU Serial Number Unknown
Microcode Update Revision 12
HTT / CMP Units 0 / 1

another function of this tool i thought was interesting was it had chassis specs. However the trial version doesnt display them. Do u still need the chassis info?

No, we don't need your chassis info.

I found something useful on the HP site:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00303942

It lists your CPU as the 519(P).

In my post above #9, I think that board would work well for you, but it doesn't have your exact CPU listed as being supported. I am pretty sure your CPU would work in that board, but it is always nice to have a board that OFFICIALLY supports your CPU.

Let's see if we can't find one....

Nope. No love.

That plus the fact that the 519p is not listed even on Intel's own CPU list makes me thing that this may be some HP special CPU or something.

My suggestion, just to be sure, would be to contact HP and talk to them about this directly. Will your CPU work in any 533FSB socket 775 motherboard. That's what we need to know.

Sorry mate. Unless we get some more info to fill in the gaps, I think this is as far as I can go. :eek:

i think im just gonna buy the mobo and psu in post 9 because that mother board fits 519 model cpus why wouldnt it fit mine.

One last thing before though is will my video card work with the ASUS? on the newegg reviews buyers gave it, some said it didnt work with ASUS mobos. I want to be sure i have one that will work with my video card as well not just my cpu.

Ok, while im no intel god, i have owned my fair share of Intel CPUs. ANd i am a bit of a fanboy. Never have i seen a CPU not listed in the list on the intel site. (that nodsu listed) I have seen CPUs not listed in retail situations, such as the 515J,(that are found mainly in Compaq/HP system) but they are still listed in the offical list.

It would seem to me (this is just speculation) that there is some sort of conflict with the ID programs. It happens more then you think.

See: http://img343.imageshack.us/my.php?image=whatcoreisit7nj.jpg (no photoshop :p )

As far as the PSU with the HP, it will be fine, i have upgraded both Compaq/HP and a normal ATX PSU worked fine.

And i do not see why the Video Card would not work with the mobo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back