US seated at number 28 in global Internet speed test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to a recent Internet speed study, the US is positioned at number 28 among other industrialized countries. Topping off the list is South Korea, Japan, Sweden, and Holland. With the gathered information, the Communications Workers of America concluded that the average US broadband speed is 5.1Mb/s -- or one quarter of South Korea's 20.4Mb/s and a third of Japan's 15.8Mb/s.

Delaware reportedly has the nation's fastest broadband speed at 9.9Mb/s -- nearly double the US average. Rhode Island came in at a close second with 9.79Mb/s, New Jersey at 8.86Mb/s, Massachusetts at 8.65Mb/s, and New York took fifth at 8.43Mb/s. Interestingly, California, home to industry bigwigs like Intel and Apple, positioned at number eleven with an average speed of 6.64Mb/s.

Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands brought down the US average of 5.1Mb/s. The two territories scored the worst with average speeds of 1.04Mb/s and 1.19Mb/s. Montana ranked the worst as continental states go, averaging 2.32Mb/s. Not far behind is Alaska at 2.34Mb/s, Idaho at 2.57Mb/s, Wyoming at 2.6Mb/s, and Hawaii at 2.97Mb/s.

Permalink to story.

hmm I remeber someone betting me he could get faster broadband to a cheaper price in New York .. then I could in Sweden ....
...guess not :)
(Even though I've already proved that I could get higher speeds then this user for 1/3 of the price ..and also getting higher speeds) ..

that is the average speed for new york not the fastest speed some places offer 50Mb fiber lines there.

Pretty sad that we in the US lag so far behind, considering how technologically dependent we are... Of course, we do have many orders of magnitude larger areas to cover than the countries above us in the list.
Still, I have to think that if the phone companies and cable operators weren't purposely delaying development and throttling the limits of capacity to protect themselves from VOIP and online video sources that threaten their profit margins, we'd be much farther along. They really should have just conceded that broadband is the future, and concentrated on spreading it (so that they were in a prime position as far as demand) rather than dragging their feet to milk everything they could out of their customer base.

I'm at 1Mb/s, which isn't awful but I am getting sick of it staying there considering when I first got broadband it was slightly better than ISDN. Its gotten obvious they could innovate but don't these days, just like the cell companies that hold every feature back to release separately in both time and price.

WOW
5.1Mb's the average for the US? I have 50MB's and will never complain about Comcast again :)
(i want Judaz's connection)

I think we're lower than 28th in literacy and projected life span, but I'm not sure.

Research; Wikipedia says we're 17th. But, we're tied at 17th with more than 30 countries. After 17th position, the list jumps to 41st, which is Tonga.

Wikipedia says we're 35th in life expectancy.

See, now 28th in internet speed doesn't seem so bad, now does it? :rolleyes:

I think we're lower than 28th in literacy and projected life span, but I'm not sure.

Research; Wikipedia says we're 17th. But, we're tied at 17th with more than 30 countries. After 17th position, the list jumps to 41st, which is Tonga.

Wikipedia says we're 35th in life expectancy.

See, now 28th in internet speed doesn't seem so bad, now does it? :rolleyes:

:haha::wave: now that's perspective!

(i think I had split a tonga with my wife once....i had cheese wiz on my half)

Notice all the countries with fast internet are also very small in comparison to the United States. The high population density and smaller infrastructure costs favors high-speed internet in these countries. In the United States, it will cost a large amount of money to get high speed fiber throughout the whole country.

Hi!
I am from south east-Asia, I have 3 Mbps connection. I am testing my Internet speed at http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ It shows most accurate and reliable result in Mbps. I am getting 0.245 Mbps for Uploading and 1.785 Mbps for Downloading It is a free service and can run on all the browsers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back