USB 3.0 update will double transfer speeds to 10Gbps in 2014

Jos

Staff

The USB 3.0 Promoter Group has announced that a major update for the ubiquitous interface is currently in the works, in an effort to double today's 5Gbps transfer rate to a Thunderbolt-matching 10Gbps. The speed boost is still a bit far off, though. The updated specification should be done in mid-2013, which "will enable initial products to appear in late 2014 with a much broader availability of products in 2015."

The group is retaining the USB 3.0 denomination, even though computers and other devices will need new chipsets to take advantage of the speedier transfer rates. The same connectors will be used, but while existing USB devices can be plugged into the higher-speed ports, the USB Promoter Group says it's possible cables available today might not work at 10Gbps since they're not certified for those speeds.

The updated standard will also bring better data encoding for transfers and significant improvements to the ability of transferring power over USB. Although no specifics were mentioned on the latter, BGR caught up with the USB Promoter Group at CES and was shown a laptop transferring video to a monitor (using DisplayLink) while simultaneously charging itself through the same cable -- using 65w in the process.

USB 3.0 has seen some healthy adoption over the last year, with hundreds of certified devices now on the market. It took quite a while to get here, though, considering the specification was finished in 2008.

Meanwhile, Thunderbolt has yet to make a dent in the market, making an appearance on just a few devices, notebooks and enthusiast motherboards besides Apple's line of desktops and laptops. The Intel-backed interface currently supports 10Gbps, with plans for a speed bump eventually through optical cables, and supports daisy chaining up to six devices. It's also more expensive than USB.

Permalink to story.

Why shoot for 10gbps in 2 years time when thunderbolt is currently at 10gbps. Shoot for 20+ so that USB is still relevant. By the time they get this new USB spec out, thunderbolt will be pushing more than 10gbps.

But the question is, if we currently need tens of Gbps. Yes, faster is better, but in this direction I want also say, for example 10Gbps is only twice better than 1Gbps, because you can not use the full bandwidth all the time, no device on consumer market produce more than 1GB/s raw data.

Mvorisek

But the question is, if we currently need tens of Gbps. Yes, faster is better, but in this direction I want also say, for example 10Gbps is only twice better than 1Gbps, because you can not use the full bandwidth all the time, no device on consumer market produce more than 1GB/s raw data.

Mvorisek

The answer is yes, we do need it. USB is not only used for file transfer, and aside from that, we don't get anywhere near the maximum theoretical throughput.

Great !!!

USB 3.0 @ 10 Gbps is more than enough for a external SSD SATA III @ 6 Gbps...

and I don't need a more expensive interface called "Thunderbolt" !!!

Thanks for your appreciation !!!
;)

Why push for higher bandwidth, when nothing out there even comes close to utilising it?

Why push for higher bandwidth, when nothing out there even comes close to utilising it?

I was thinking the same thing, I also can't find many products (except for external hard drives) that are currently using USB3 as it is now? no mobile phone uses USB3, no digital camera's, No Screens, not much really.

I was thinking the same thing, I also can't find many products (except for external hard drives) that are currently using USB3 as it is now? no mobile phone uses USB3, no digital camera's, No Screens, not much really.

There are products that cannot exist because the throughput isn't available to consumers yet, such as external video cards.

Remember we are talking two years from now. But, currently, my external ssd's max out USB3.

I'm shocked to hear you guys talk like this... but then again, I was shocked to hear people on TS say they didn't see the point in 4k displays either.

Maybe if they bump the spec, USB can be the new thunderbolt, driving 4K displays and such.

Just look at SSDs. They have been peak bandwidth limited by SATA3 for years. The bus has to lead the devices. Amazing how many people trumpet the "nothing uses it" line...

because they see that not many PCs in the world are modern. Actually a large amount of PCs in the world are >3 years old. (USB2)

because they see that not many PCs in the world are modern. Actually a large amount of PCs in the world are >3 years old. (USB2)
Exactly, the technology that comes out today, sets a standard for future PC's. They realize that USB devices can already saturate USB 3.0@5G, so they are upping the standard for future devices so that the USB 3.0@10G will not be as big a bottleneck.

Wouldn't you like to have an external USB 3.0 SSD in a few years to replace your mechanical HDD drives? There is no telling what the future has in store for USB 3.0 devices, so why complain about or wonder why max ratings are being increased?

I'd like to add to this since I'm getting crucified for my comment.

What I was trying to get at is that I don't see very many, Under £500 laptops coming out with USB3 and I don't see very many £400 desktops come with USB3 (unless custom built). and I really don't see very many peripherals at the moment that even use USB3.

Isn't it a bit bizarre to change the standard when whats already out there isn't even very widespread or even used?

I see what everyone is saying, in 2 years time we may need the bandwidth yada yada but USB3 has been out a while now and hasn't really gained much traction at all?

I'm happy to bet we're only just seeing peripherals (Keyboards, mice, Backup drives, Camera's, Phones etc...) with USB3 support in 2 years.

Progress is never a bad thing, but maybe they should work on the products which use this technology, before progressing the technology itself.

How do you intend to get 4K media to consumers in their homes?

By the time Ultra HD (4k) displays are affordable for consumers, there will be content. Would you prefer that they are released at the same time and then you can't afford to get one until two years later?

I see what everyone is saying, in 2 years time we may need the bandwidth yada yada but USB3 has been out a while now and hasn't really gained much traction at all?

USB3 was just recently in Intel's last chipset included natively. I disagree that it hasn't gained traction, almost all external HDD's are USB3 now, and the ones that are USB2 are just left-over. It makes an incredibly noticeable difference using a drive with USB3 vs USB2, and the great thing is, it's all backwards compatible, so there is never any obsolescence through form-factor. There is nothing to complain about.

USB 3.0 thumb drives. Can transfer over 120MB/s read. Compare that to USB 2.0 thumb drives... they are much faster.

I *wish* phones did. The flash memory is capable of much faster speeds than USB 2.0. Digital cameras as well... I reckon it's not because there aren't enough speed gains. More of a cost thing. A USB 3.0 chipset, having to redesign the buses internally to provide bandwidth. Why spend the money on redesigns when you can flog a dead horse some more?

USB3 was just recently in Intel's last chipset included natively. I disagree that it hasn't gained traction, almost all external HDD's are USB3 now, and the ones that are USB2 are just left-over.
Yes bloody Intel! They could be leading the way but there isn't a financial incentive for them to push this. Should have had native a few generations ago.

Is there even a need for keyboards and mice to have USB3?

Apart from USB ports on the keyboard, I don't think there is a bandwidth requiring them to have USB3..?

Is there even a need for keyboards and mice to have USB3?

Apart from USB ports on the keyboard, I don't think there is a bandwidth requiring them to have USB3..?
Only things I can think of is reduced latency... also not sure how a USB 3 hub handles queuing when USB 2 devices are connected. You might affect the other devices speed if you mix USB 2 and USB 3 off the same channel on a USB 3 controller?

Back