USB Compatibility

By rjshenal
Jan 25, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello All:

Not quite sure where to put this, so I'll start here.

My current computer has USB 1.1. If I purchased a USB external HDD which today would be USB 2.0, I'm sure, would the USB 2.0 HDD be campatible/work with the USB 1.1 on my computer?

Thanks in advance
    rjshenal
  2. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

no, a usb 2.0 device needs a usb 2.0 compatible port. USB 2.0 ports however, will work with older 1.1 devices.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

There are external drives that support both 1.1 and 2.0 USB. You just have to look at the specs.
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

USB 2.0 devices are backwards compatible with USB 1.1. It will run a greatly reducded speed though.

So, yes... Your external 2.0 drive will work and will work fine on an older computer. It will just be slow.
  5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

Just buy an internal PCI-card with USB2 from e.g. Belkin.
    Attach that HD to it and you have a new uncle (Bob)
  6. rjshenal

rjshenal Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 18

Thanks for all the info...really appreciate it,
    If I get a USB2 card and install it, what happens to the old USB 1.1 that is already installed? I have my printer connected to the USB 1.1, will it still work?

Thanks

rjshenal

:D
  7. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

It will work fine (in theory anyway)
  8. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,534   +92

Yes your USB 1.1 controller which is on your motherboard will still function as it always has, whilst the PCI USB 2.0 controller card will operate independantly through the PCI bus.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.