USB Hub Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

This all started a few days ago and ive looked all over the net to help me find out what the problem is. But i just dont know how to fix it. Heres the story

A few days ago, my computer suddenly restarted. Once it got to the desktop screen, it restared again, and again. It kept restarting once it reached the desktop screen after loading up. So basically i couldnt get on the computer.
I then started the computer in safe mode, worked fine. So i went onto the net and looked on many forums to try help me find out what the problem was.

People suggested using the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) or something like that, so that i would get an error message telling me what the problem was.

This is what came up:

"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

"Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

So after googling that error message. i discovered that there was 2 drivers conflicting with each other or something. So after disabling things in the device manager and testing to see if the computer would work i discovered that the problem was my "Generic USB Hub".

Everytime thats enabled, its causing my computer to restart all the time.
Now i cant just disable it and continue using the computer, coz my internet goes in via a usb port and wont work if i disable it.

I never installed any hardware or software before it happened. And its a Windows Xp computer i have

Does anyone have any idea what i can do to solve this problem?
Any sort of help would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long story. But i wanted to give as much info as possible

I agree with RealBlackStuff, but would go one further. Quality is important. An Adaptec powered unit will pay for itself over time. Too many others have power and speed reductions for each additional item plugged in.

The thing is, it IS connected into the computers USB Port, and it worked perfectly for the last year, then all of a sudden its done this.

Its not a physical Hub im using. The Generic USB Hub is a Xp OS installed driver or something like that.

Because impedance and voltages change as devices age. The powered unit will compensate for that. You are dealing with very small voltages of 400 mV +- 10% and termination impedance of 500 ohms +- 10%. Transition times of 500 ps. The original devices had to pass a test with five ports daisy chained together... but those values change under manufacturing and the devices change as they age.
The devices are never again checked for manufacturing defects.
You almost never find a Windows or driver cause for these problems. They are hard ware, and are affected a lot by the number of devices, but also just by use, wear, corrosion, and such.
These impedances, voltages, and transitions are so low they can only be checked with certainty with an ocilloscope. No multimeter will be adequate.
You are looking in the wrong spot for a solution.
A good powered hub starts at about $27... The excellent ones are $87. Why do you think there are those differences in price and performance.

I agree with you Raybay. The cost of a USB2 hub can vary greatly as you point out. I still would not pay more than $20 for a powered USB hub. I have an external USB2 3.5 inch 100GB Seagate hard drive. It uses power from my keyboard connection through a special supplied adapter cable...

We find that on some computers, when all ports are in use, the cheap powered hubs do not work well. For those clients we provide the amazing and expensive Adaptec. But for my own use, I use a DLink.
We know that some Belkin, Targus, Noname, Everything, and HubPort brands give us trouble if more than three ports are in use.

Motherboards vary in the number of USB ports available, and they vary as to the kind of USB ports. I just built a Gigabyte system that has 6 USB2 and 2 firewire ports. I have 6 USB2 ports on my system. 4 in back and 2 up front... In older systems, you were lucky to have 1 or 2 USB1.1 ports

In order fro Gigabyte to get that board passed by the USB authority, they had to have it tested with a daisy chain of five devices on each port... impedance, voltage, and transition times are all tested with an Ocilloscope... and this guarantees a good system.

Of course, nobody will know for two years or more how age and surface metal corrosion will affect the ports and connections.

But we do know that all devices with USB ports are required to have those ports tested before they can use the USB logo, or advertise their unit has USB. It is one of the few protections left in this business.

Gigabyte is one of our favorite brands as most of their models are excellent. So we expect you will not have trouble.

Further, we expect all new boards will have that same configuration, or better, along with the 800 series Firewire that is in such demand for external hard drives, camera downloads, and such.

Thanks for the responses everyone, i just have one more question.

If it has became faulty through age. Then how am i able to use the same modem and hub when in safe mode? Would they still not fail to work then also?

Reduced use of resources. Safe mode has a significantly lower power utilization than the full version.

Ok, thanks alot for your help. I'll be sure to buy a hub and see how things get on.

I appreciate the help and fast responses and will be sure to come straight back here first if i encounter any more problems :D

You would get just the same, if not better, results by buying a PCI-card with 4 or 5 USB2 ports. You would lose the advantage of having the hub on your desktop, but you won't need an AC-adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back