Valve has declined movie offers for Left 4 Dead, Half-Life

Shawn Knight

Staff member

During a recent interview on The Nerdist podcast, Valve boss Gabe Newell said his company has declined offers from Hollywood movie studios on a few different occasions. Specifically, filmmakers have been interested in adapting hits like Half-Life and Left 4 Dead to the big screen – moves that may sound like great ideas at first though until you hear what Hollywood had planned for them.

Newell gives one example where a studio approached him with an idea for a Half-Life movie. The filmmakers pitched the idea of it being Half-Life 1 with horses in a cavalry charge. The horses, naturally, would be clad in high-tech carbon armor.

As you can imagine, representatives from Valve were a bit taken back, asking the studio what the f*** they were talking about and if they had even played the game. We can only imagine what sort of off-the-wall theme that Hollywood would come up with for Left 4 Dead.

Newell said the Source Filmmaker was a direct response to terrible movie pitches from Hollywood. The tool kit allows anyone to create animated short films using the same set of tools that Valve used to create the Meet the Team shorts over the past five years. It includes all assets from the Source game engine and Team Fortress 2 in addition to content from the first two Meet the Team short films. The kit is available for download free of charge provided you have roughly 15GB of free storage space and a Windows computer.

Permalink to story.

Glad to hear it!

If Valve let any old party create a film of there games it would damage their reputation indefinitely.

Hopefully they'll never let Hollywood touch their games, they are masterpieces as it is, do not let Hollywood Ruin them!

LOL...a horse cavalry charge with carbon armor?? I want whatever drugs they're on.

Good for Valve for not rolling over for a quick dollar and retaining the integrity of their games.

I wouldn't mind if L4D gets turned into a movie. Half Life should definitely NOT be made into a film, though. Gordon Freeman is the best silent hero, and he should remain that way.

Why would anyone want to make a movie about L4D? The best part about the game is the creepy silence followed by massive zombie horde. If they did make a movie for it, they would screw it up by putting dialog,plot, and a craptastic story to it. Good for Valve for not folding to the Hollywood preasure. Now all we need is L4D3!!~!!!!!

Can anyone name one decent film based on a game? normally that ***** Uwe Boll gets involved and turns out a complete turd.

None of this games should be a movie, especially Half-Life. I just felt it will be a piece of schlock.

Games are works of art an interactive media that surpasses any movie they think could be made. Bravo Valve, keep me entertained and spending my money for hours of pure FUN. cheers :)

Video games should never be turned into movies. If you've ever seen the Far Cry movie, or that Doom movie, you'll understand why

Good for Valve... My favorite game developer definitely makes good decisions...

Except of course for their decision to NOT just shut up and make Half Life 3 already...

I liked silent hill and the mortal kombat movie, but whats the point of putting carbon armor on a horse, if you have something as advanced as carbon armor.... your probably not riding a fing horse.

"Left 4 Dead: The Movie! Starring: Bill, Louis, Francis, Zoey, and Donald the talking Turtle!

Back