Valve has declined movie offers for Left 4 Dead, Half-Life

By Shawn Knight
Jan 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. During a recent interview on The Nerdist podcast, Valve boss Gabe Newell said his company has declined offers from Hollywood movie studios on a few different occasions. Specifically, filmmakers have been interested in adapting hits like Half-Life and Left 4...

Read more
  2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,364   +260

Glad to hear it!

If Valve let any old party create a film of there games it would damage their reputation indefinitely.

Hopefully they'll never let Hollywood touch their games, they are masterpieces as it is, do not let Hollywood Ruin them!
    TypeR181 likes this.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,231   +314

LOL...a horse cavalry charge with carbon armor?? I want whatever drugs they're on.

Good for Valve for not rolling over for a quick dollar and retaining the integrity of their games.
    TypeR181 likes this.
  4. MrBungle

MrBungle TechSpot Booster Posts: 141   +62

Sounds like they would have butchered the HL story as much as they did Doom... glad valve turned it down.
    TypeR181 likes this.
  5. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 864   +127

I wouldn't mind if L4D gets turned into a movie. Half Life should definitely NOT be made into a film, though. Gordon Freeman is the best silent hero, and he should remain that way.
  6. cmbjive

cmbjive TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 362   +55

Seeing Gordon Freeman charging into battle against the Combine with carbon armored horses would have been...interesting...
    captainawesome likes this.
  7. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Why would anyone want to make a movie about L4D? The best part about the game is the creepy silence followed by massive zombie horde. If they did make a movie for it, they would screw it up by putting dialog,plot, and a craptastic story to it. Good for Valve for not folding to the Hollywood preasure. Now all we need is L4D3!!~!!!!!
    TypeR181 likes this.
  8. TekGun

TekGun TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 155   +11

Can anyone name one decent film based on a game? normally that ***** Uwe Boll gets involved and turns out a complete turd.
  9. Laura Croft Tomb Raider
  10. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 563   +96

None of this games should be a movie, especially Half-Life. I just felt it will be a piece of schlock.
  11. TypeR181

TypeR181 Newcomer, in training

Games are works of art an interactive media that surpasses any movie they think could be made. Bravo Valve, keep me entertained and spending my money for hours of pure FUN. cheers :)
  12. Hollywood is EVIL! Stay away from it as far as you can Valve!
  13. veLa

veLa TechSpot Booster Posts: 437   +70

Video games should never be turned into movies. If you've ever seen the Far Cry movie, or that Doom movie, you'll understand why

14. slamscaper

slamscaper TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 102   +10

Good for Valve... My favorite game developer definitely makes good decisions...

Except of course for their decision to NOT just shut up and make Half Life 3 already...
  15. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,572   +41

I liked silent hill and the mortal kombat movie, but whats the point of putting carbon armor on a horse, if you have something as advanced as carbon armor.... your probably not riding a fing horse.
  16. "Left 4 Dead: The Movie! Starring: Bill, Louis, Francis, Zoey, and Donald the talking Turtle!
  17. TekGun

TekGun TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 155   +11

A year old thread necro, well done, you're really living up to guest posters standards.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.