Via introduces QuadCore processor for notebooks

By Jos
May 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Via managed to get some buzz going on when the Isaiah architecture and Nano processor were first introduced back in 2008. But even though early benchmarks seemed promising performance-wise, Intel…

Read the whole story
  2. intelinside

intelinside TS Rookie

who cares!!
  3. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,159   +67

Well said. I would care more if VIA sent review samples to tech sites and I could see some real world performance. Won't necessarily make me buy, but anything I can only see in press releases is a product not worth buying.
  4. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +93

Yay... poop chips
  5. I agree with it's good they are giving more competition, with only 2 really big chip makers, it's nice to see some one else giving it a go. Via doesn't make the best chips, but they don't have what the other 2 have as a budget, so i guess they will try with what they have. I hope they can get a little of the market, as the more competition, the more the customer wins. The only way to break in to the notebook market is to have a chip with good specs, and very low power consumption. My AMD notebook only gets about an 1 1/2 hours before she dies. AMD chip loves the juice.
  6. pmshah

pmshah TS Rookie Posts: 95

Of all the chipsets that I have come across - over past 20 years building mid-range systems I have found via to be the most reliable and MOST compatible to absolutely any operating system under the sky.

I have been using a via C7 based min-itx board as a testing platform for the past 3 years and has never given me any trouble. Compare this to AMD 670 chipsets which have an absolutely horrible USB interface which keeps disconnecting and reconnecting to external USB hard drives which never faced that problem on any other machine. These also won't work with USB connected KVM switches.

I also remember times when windows would lose its graphic resolution of the desktops - intel chipsets - and the you could not fix it because the OK buttons fell beyond the desktop !

BTW my 3 year old mini-itx C7 system with only 1 GB of ram runs as fast as my dual core atom + nVidia ION with 2 GB of ram ! Both run the same OS.