Video Card Fan Speed

By cfitzarl
Feb 2, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone,

I've had my ATI Radeon 2900PRO video card for...about 2 years now. Just today, I noticed that the fan was spinning much faster than normal and, in turn, was very loud. Gradually, as I stayed on the computer longer, the fan slowed down and returned to normal.

When letting the computer idle while watching TV, I noticed that the fan started acting up again, so I turned the computer off. I took a nap, and then got back up and noticed the fan was still going very rapidly.

HWMonitor is putting the core of the video card at 114F (46C). I can't check the speed of the video card fan through the program though.
  2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,788   +639

A foot in both camps? (Your avatar!)

Can you monitor the PCB tempreture ?
    Could be that the Vram /VRM are getting hot while the heatpipe is effectively cooling the GPU.
    Any dust buildup inside the shroud- I presume the cards running the stock red translucent acrylic blower fan shroud.
    When you say it's spinning faster do you mean that it's in 3D mode all the time ?
  3. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,520   +9

No. This has been happening when I've been doing things like surfing the internet.
  4. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,788   +639

So it's running at 3D speed when it should be 2D.
    When you are in 2D mode (surfing the net, email, word processing etc) -I think for that card 2D mode is 300MHz core, 300MHz memory- and the fan ramps up to full speed is the GPU and memory clock also running at 3D (maximum), or are they still at 2D levels (300/300),
    If that is the case then you might have the driver overruling the BIOS presets.
  5. GAGEtheBEAST

GAGEtheBEAST Newcomer, in training Posts: 36

I'm going to say that it is a load of hair/dust...That's the most likely cause.
  6. cfitzarl

cfitzarl TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,520   +9

I decided to check out the video card, and it had a large amount of dust on the fan. I cleaned it, and so far so good.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.