Video card getting extremely hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

king21092

Ok, please everyone that reads this take your time and read over it all. Also if you need anymore information please reply to this thread and I will post what I have.

Since this is such a long problem to type out and since I have already emailed Palit about it I'll copy and paste what I wrote to them, it can apply to you all too.

Ok here goes!

########################
########################

Ok, first off I would like to say the card is(WAS) absolutely amazing!!

I saw you post this email on newegg.com where I had been reading reviews, although I already had the product I keep up with reviews.

Now to the prior details:
Today I felt like installing all my games, since I only had a few of them installed and needed more things to do. I did so and did the updates and etc.
One of the games I installed, Crysis, had a "Can I run it" thing on their website, [http://www.ea.com/crysis/home.jsp]. I ran the program, [http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/ea_usa?registration_option_id=5610], to see how my system went up against the minimum specs. Thankfully it did good! They had a link on the page under my video driver version section and it sent me to a page to see if my driver was up to date. I downloaded and installed the latest driver and went on finishing up installing my games.

Now some background INFOrmation:
Before install of the driver: GPU: Idle: 31C Max Load:[Unknown] NOTE: When running with this setting I would max at 37-38C running WoW also I was using a PCI slot GPU cooler on the lowest speed setting.
Before install of the driver: CPU: Idle: 24-25C Max Load:[Unknown]
Before install of the driver: Able to control the fan speed for the GPU, Dynamic and Fixed.

After install of the driver: GPU: Idle 35-36C Max Load:[Unknown] NOTE: When running with this setting I would max at 48C running WoW also I was using a PCI slot GPU cooler on the highest speed setting.
After install of the driver: CPU: Idle 24-25C Max Load:[Unknown]
After install of the driver: Unable to control the fan speed for the GPU, Dynamic and Fixed.

Ok also some things to know, the only time before running WoW and noticed my temps were so high was when running crysis on default video settings. It was running the in mid 30'sC running it on default and when I closed the game I check again. This time it SKY ROCKETED to 48C, also like when on WoW. Counter Strike Source was running at 34C when I checked before running WoW and Crysis.

Ok, i'm down to the niddy griddy and need some help. I'm not sure if my card is coincidentally defective around the time on the updates or if the driver is bad. I know that 35C may be good for most peoples systems, but mine was doing better than that by-far before this incident occured. Something is up and I have failed to pinpoint it, I have checked all of my hardware and all of it is in perfect working condition, unsure about the GPU though. I'm lead to believe that my Video Card is bad or that the driver is bad.

One more thing to note, since all of these updates a program I got from my MoBo disc doesnt show any number for the frequency, because I cant change it. It's almost as if the new driver has locked the GPU and cranked up the settings to make it run hotter and wont let me twink with the setting, not that I twink with them anyway. If it is the driver can you send me a link to where to Download a legitimate driver. If its not the driver can you send me details of how to RMA this baby back and get a brand new one. One more thing, I'm not sure how to roll back the driver, which may be the cause, any help would be appreciated.

If you need ANY information please email be back and I can provide anything that is needed.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Ben

<Sig>

########################
########################

If you have any idea why or what it could be don't hesitate to post it!

Honestly, for that plait card, 48C is perfect normal. You will need to keep the card under 55C

unless you have some money left, you should invest on better aftermarket cooling for your plait card.

Yes, I know, but if I was getting 31C standard idling and its varying like crazy now, thats unacceptable. It not about whats normal for most cards its about whats normal for my system. Seeing that my system is fully air cooled it should be running much!!!! lower than the indicators reveal.

My system is Air cooled to the MAX!!! I have a CPU HSF coming in on Wednesday and new RAM.

Also I've been reading around and I found a post where someone was talking about drivers that display information incorrectly. I'm starting to lean toward that conslusion.

EDIT: I'm currently using stock cooling on my Palit, the stock is exceptionally well. I was getting much lower temps than now, its not the cooler that I need.

Here's a review of what I'm asking.
I'm trying to find out why my tempuratures jumped up after some updates. I dont care about my hardware at the moment, all I know is that the Stock HSF WAS getting me cool fine and dandy and not it shot up a load.

I was running my XFX 9800GT, and it has been like that, it goes from 36C to 54C, up and down, no matter which games I uses. It don't really bothers me when it goes up and down, but it does bother me when the temp could stays at 54C at idle.
Maybe you can reconsider about making your own custom pci slot cooler?

Once again, everything is fine with stock cooling and my PCI GPU cooling fan(s). All I know is that its NOT normal for temps to vary that much over playing simple games and only changing the driver.

I'm going to download a temperature measuring tool somewhere and put my currect driver to the test.

my old 8800gts would run as hot as 65c under load, it ran fine @ that temp

i would not worry about >50c

I would like to add that another reason I'm so picky about the GPU temperature fluxuating like that is because it increases the system temps therefore making it harder to cool everything in the case, like the CPU

Hmm. Care to explain what you actually did to your case instead? Insufficient fans, wrong air flows, messy wires maybe?

My case hasn't changed besides the wires in my case shifting around just slightly, while moving it around.

3 120mm case exhaust fans
PSU exhaust fan
3 open card slots on the back on my case
1 120mm intake
4 40mm intake fans
3-5 sq inches of open space in the bay slots for air to move freely

I've also done some "modding."
I taped and placed a few sleeve fans around to keep the air moving.

^^^^^^^^^^^all of those things were done ages ago. before i had this problem, but thats just some specs.

I would like to add that another reason I'm so picky about the GPU temperature fluxuating like that is because it increases the system temps therefore making it harder to cool everything in the case, like the CPU

you said you have air cooling to the max

this shouldnt be an issue

i would be more picky about other things than a temp that isnt harmfull

I know, but a few degrees is to much for my likings.

Overall my system temps have risen about 1C since the problem occured

i would be more picky about other things than a temp that isnt harmfull

It can be harmful if the driver is bad and always giving me bad temperature readings.
An accurate measurement would be nice as it seems the video card hasnt gone up much.

Also about my system temps going up 1C, its most likely less, maybe its dropped. but at the moment its reading one higher and keeps going to 29-30.

Also these are the fans I've used in my modding http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200019.

3-5 sq inches of open space in the bay slots for air to move freely

explain that more

edit: i really dont think you have anything to worry about (your overall temps or your gpu temps)
my pc is running 5c hotter and been like that for a year, nothing has failed or slowed down.

as long as the dust bunnys get cleaned, and lightning doesnt fry it im good to go.

last edit:

my current temps:

cpu: 35c
mainboard: 34c
gpu: 45c
psu: 25c

these are my normal idle readings on a daily basis.

ok, at the moment i have 2 bays that have 2 fans, when they could fit 3, theres space for another 40mm fan in each of them.
ok heres a picture i took the time to draw:
|xxxxxis herexxxxxxxoooooospaceoooooooxxxxxis herexxxxxxx|
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxooooooooooooooooooxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxooooooooooooooooooxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

X = where the fan is occupied at.
O = empty space

That don't sounds good buddy, you need to open it up and perform the surgery and patch it up. Make sure you are able to tuck in the loose wire in the either 3.5" or 5.25" drive bay, or you can just hide the all loose wires behind the motherboard trays."

After that, you can close it up and snitch it up.

Edited = You should be able to provide us the picture instead of that ASCII art =P

I have them tied of in a big ball, I could do I little work, but still that doesnt address the reason my temps went skyward. Everything has been the same except for the gamed and the new driver being installed

By the way, do you know how to do a rollback on drivers?

control pannel ----> device manager----->item you wish to roll back--->properties--->rollback driver (if you cant click it, then i dont know what to tell ya)

or you can try to use the unistall option in there and reboot your pc, then install the driver you want if you have it avalible.

I had 3 open earlier but I put in another DVD drive in so now just 2, but im going to take my IDE dvdrom drive out and put my bay fans back in.

k thnx
ill go to the control panel and try it

where is "device manager?" cant find it

Alphabetical order your icons if they arnt, then search near "D" ;)

then again, im on vista, i dont remember where its at in xp on the control panel, i may be inside another file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back