Video lag when mouse is not moving

sethbest

This may be addressed somewhere else, but whenever I searched this problem I came up with a ton of posts about the opposite issue.

When I watch a video, in any player (vlc, zoom, windows media, quicktime) it starts to lag after a few seconds until I move the mouse. If I keep moving the mouse the video will not lag.

I've had this problem on many filetypes (mkv, mp4, avi) but oddly enough it is also present during flash videos.

As you can see from my system profile my computer should be able to handle most anything just fine. I'm running this monitor at 1920 x 1080.

This is a dual monitor setup, but I don't think that should affect it.

I change all of the power saving options so they wouldn't slow down when I wasn't active (thought the PCI-E setting might do the trick) but to no avail.

If anything this problem seems to be getting worse over time.

Please let me know if you have an idea of what the problem might be, or if you require information to help.

Please note that my entire system profile is in my techspot account.
Thanks

Mouse is USB I'm assuming.. I'm sure you've already tried a different usb port, if it's plugged into a hub - plug directly into the system. if it's plugged into one of the usb3.0 ports, move it to a 2.0 port. See if issue persists. if so, I'm going to blame a chipset driver, or a software driver for the mouse. if you've recently updated either of those drivers, roll them back. See if issue persists. If so try a different mouse - maybe, maybe it's an issue directly with the mouse. Try the mouse in a different system, see if issue is then on other system. Try these things & post back, I'm curious on this one. Hope this helps, take care!

ITLogicSystems, Thanks for the help. I tried switching around mouse ports before but your mention of removing a USB hub reminded me that I had plugged in a KVM splitter a few weeks back that I couldn't seem to get working with windows 7. Checked and sure enough even though I plugged the mouse back into a regular USB port I left the KVM splitter plugged in. Removed it now everything plays perfectly.
Thanks again for the help

To this date have never found a KVM splitter that works perfectly, guess I'll just have to stick with a desk with 2 keyboards, 2 mice, and 3 monitors.

Aten, TrendNet and IOGear make some good KVM Switches (in that order). Maybe you should give one of them a try.

This one is a trendnet USB TK-207, and besides the video issue it would occasionally cause a system crash where the screen would go all squiggly and the system would restart. It works perfectly on XP machines so I assume its something to do with windows 7 64 bit.

Hey sethbest, I'm experiencing the same problem. However, I'm not using any KVM splitters or anything external on my laptop. Can you please let me know if you fully resolve the problem already and how? Thanks.

Removing the KVM splitter reduced the problem but it hung around for a few months until I finally found the problem.

None of my antiviruses found it at first, but my audio drivers had been infected with a bitcoin-miner. The miner would use my system's processing and bandwidth if the computer was left idle for more than a minute, this included when I just had a video playing.

Anyways someone was making a few fractions of bitcoins off of me until I removed the infected drivers.

Hopefully that helps you in your situation.

Removing the KVM splitter reduced the problem but it hung around for a few months until I finally found the problem.

None of my antiviruses found it at first, but my audio drivers had been infected with a bitcoin-miner. The miner would use my system's processing and bandwidth if the computer was left idle for more than a minute, this included when I just had a video playing.

Anyways someone was making a few fractions of bitcoins off of me until I removed the infected drivers.

Hopefully that helps you in your situation.

how did you find the bitcoin-miner??

Back