Vinyl outsells CDs for the first time in 35 years with 41 million records sold in 2022

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Editor's take: Vinyl record sales are booming. It's hard to nail down the recent trend. Collectors trying to grow their collections, audiophiles preferring the richer sounds from analog recordings, and the sometimes fantastic album art the large discs come with all contribute to the phase. Whatever the case may be, the record industry isn't complaining.

For the first time since 1987, vinyl record sales have exceeded compact discs. According to the Recording Industry Association of America's (RIAA) 2022 year-end report, the analog platters beat their digital cousins, moving 41 million units to 33 million, respectively.

The gap is even more significant when viewed from a monetary perspective. Last year, consumers spent only $482.6 million on CDs versus $1.2 billion for vinyl. The ancient medium cornered 71.2 percent of all physical music revenues for 2022.

Thanks to an increased interest in vinyl records over the last several years, grooved-disc sales have exceeded CD revenue since 2020. However, unit shipments finally eclipsed this year thanks to a 17-percent uptick in vinyl and an 18-percent decline in CD sales.

However, digital media remains the music industry's highest performer. When folding in all digital formats, including streaming, overall revenues climbed 6 percent to $15.9 billion in 2022, with digital media taking 92.3 percent of the market.

The RIAA attributes the modest 6-percent gain to 8-percent growth in paid subscription services like Spotify, Apple Music, and Amazon Music, which earned over $10 billion last year. Ad-based subscription tiers and YouTube brought in another $1.8 billion.

"[Overall,] 2022 was an impressive year of sustained 'growth-over-growth' more than a decade after streaming's explosion onto the music scene," RIAA Chairman and CEO Mitch Glazier noted. "Continuing that long run, subscription streaming revenues now make up two-thirds of the market with a robust record high $13.3 billion."

Meanwhile, downloaded music continues its death spiral. Last year, the medium accounted for $495 million in revenue, down 20 percent year-over-year and 84 percent from its peak in 2012. The advantage of streaming music on-demand has gradually squeezed downloads out of the picture thanks partly to the storage savings it offers portable devices.

Whether it's nostalgia from older listeners or a youthful fascination with a music technology that emerged over a century ago, it appears vinyl records will hang around much longer than anyone ever expected.

Permalink to story.

As a CD-Audio lover who will never "purchase" or stream anything in purely digital form, I remember pretty well how music sounded back in the analog era. You know, cassette tapes and such. And this hype about a bad, ancient and buzzing inferior audio format for music listening is simply baffling...

What records (vinyl...make me laugh) have over CD's is room for art. I like my record collection because I bought most of it more than 50 years ago but I rarely want to take the time and do all the rigmarole necessary to play a record. As for the sound? Well it's like having an Kodak instamatic vs a Rollei. Better something than nothing

Last edited:
As a CD-Audio lover who will never "purchase" or stream anything in purely digital form, I remember pretty well how music sounded back in the analog era. You know, cassette tapes and such. And this hype about a bad, ancient and buzzing inferior audio format for music listening is simply baffling...
No it's not baffling. People want to be in with the In Crowd and What better pick up line than...Wanna come up to place and listen to some 45's?

I buy limited/collector run presses for bands I really tend to like, with no intention of ever playing them, just for collectors sake (and cool huge artwork). I'm content with downloading the digital copy that tends to come with most purchases now or just stream it. Still buy new cassettes for the same reason, I just enjoy collecting physical merch for bands I enjoy (this includes t-shirts).

CDs are pointless. Either get better digital quality or get it analog. CDs really shouldn't even exist anymore.

DSD didn't really take off but that's your super hi-res digital format if you wanted it.

I've been reading about the fad for a few years now but didn't realize it was this big! I haven't bought a CD in a couple of decades. I still have a large collection of them, but don't use them. Vinyl, I got rid of those many moons ago. The last one to go was my Beatles Abbey Road album.

Just sound like a fad and good PR. The only thing objectively better about vinyl is the physical aspect of setting it up and handling it. Otherwise, it has nothing on comparable/good quality anything else.

Honestly, it just sounds like people were bored during the pandemic and went a little bit hipster...

The best camera is the one you have with you. <looks at phone> Same goes for music.
Phone audio has improved greatly over the years. I can perfectly tell the difference between my floor speakers and an audio coming from headphones connected to my s22.
I d say it this way: experiencing music from a high quality source is delightful when you have ears.
Experiencing music from phone can be very decent with good headphones.
The range, the range from worst to best music quality is so long that it is not easy to set quality standards.

If I told you I could offer you a music source with a noise floor only 60 dB down on a good day, with even less dynamic range than that, with only 30 dB of stereo separation, and with considerable harmonic distortion, would you be interested? Well, that's vinyl. It does not sound better. It sounds different, and it is nostalgic, and some people like that. However, I will buy vinyl before I'll EVER pay for a monthly subscription service. I'm fine with digital, but I either own a copy of it, DRM free, or I'll do without.

Interestingly, this isn't a global trend. Here's what he BPI has to say about the UK market:
“There were 11.6 million CDs and 5.5 million vinyl LPs purchased across the year, as well as 195,000 cassettes and 3.7 million album downloads." Now that's roughly 2:1. (Interestingly the British press have been lauding the value rather than the quantity of sales).
Also consider that the second hand market, excluded from the RIAAs report, will most likely be dominated by CDs as vinyl is a format that is dominated by collectors.
Why have the RIAA combined LPs and EPs? That makes me suspicious - EPs were 7" or 12" singles in my day. nb The RIAA defines an EP as containing between three and five tracks or running less than 30 minutes - that's a single in my book.

Last edited:
The thing is, nobody buys CDs anymore, therefore anything else will appear like it's going up in comparison.

CDs have been superseded by digital so it's a strange comparison alright. In any case the resilience and resurgence of vinyl is quite remarkable.

CDs have been superseded by digital so it's a strange comparison alright. In any case the resilience and resurgence of vinyl is quite remarkable.
CDs don't have that nostalgic feel like vinyl does, they're just plastic. That's why audiophile snobs will keep buying vinyl far into the future for that emotion they're chasing.

CDs are pointless. Either get better digital quality or get it analog. CDs really shouldn't even exist anymore.

DSD didn't really take off but that's your super hi-res digital format if you wanted it.

DSD is the best, but alas SACD is now relagated to my small world of audiophiles. And thus titles are few & far between.

And in a CD-sized case, there is still room enough for 'some' artwork.

Try listening to records on quality players, it's an incredibly satisfying experience looking at a piece of grooved vinyl and hearing such impressive sound.

Playing a record is involving. You have to pull the record out of its sleeve, place on the platter, turn on the player, clean the record, drop the needle, enjoy the 3 or 4 songs, flip, repeat. It forces you to actually LISTEN to the recording, not just have it on as background noise.

My turntable is a 1982 Sansui XR-Q7 which would cost around $7,000 in today's money.

I've been reading about the fad for a few years now but didn't realize it was this big! I haven't bought a CD in a couple of decades. I still have a large collection of them, but don't use them. Vinyl, I got rid of those many moons ago. The last one to go was my Beatles Abbey Road album.

Ridding yourself of a Beatles album, worth big money now, I hope you got serious coin when you disposed of it and not a dollar or two.

Just sound like a fad and good PR.

Honestly, it just sounds like people were bored during the pandemic and went a little bit hipster...

I bet most here haven't actually heard a record let alone played on good equipment. It definately ISN'T an inferior experience.

This "fad" has been going for many many years, it's just that Millennials just have no idea or appreciation for records and sadly if they actually play one it's on a Crosley piece of rubbish which is like streaming music on a 1950's mono earpiece.

Last edited:
All I have left from my youth days are some Techics floor standers and a Panasonic Amp. After the kid was born I never powered them on again. Investing into music now don't makes sense to me since I only use headphones.

I almost never used the direct drive Techincs turntable then so I sold it many years ago when Mp3 was king.

No regrets.

I bet most here haven't actually heard a record let alone played on good equipment. It definately ISN'T an inferior experience.

This "fad" has been going for many many years, it's just that Millennials just have no idea or appreciation for records and sadly if they actually play one it's on a Crosley piece of rubbish which is like streaming music on a 1950's mono earpiece.
Just sound like a fad and good PR. The only thing objectively better about vinyl is the physical aspect of setting it up and handling it. Otherwise, it has nothing on comparable/good quality anything else.

If you're going to quote me, don't cut out a main part of what I said, and then pretend I didn't say it.

The only thing objectively better about vinyl is the physical aspect of setting it up and handling it. Otherwise, it has nothing on comparable/good quality anything else.

There is a company in Nashville that presses vinyl and they have gone from one to several dozen presses .... and simply cannot keep any stock on hand because of demand. The main problem I have noticed with CD's, DVD's, etc. is they seem to push the range of sound closer together, thus eliminating how wide a range vinyl can support. I have a large collect of both and while the old records have their "pops & fizzes" the range is superior. The day somebody comes up with a system that supports both, it will be a godsend .....

Most people's audio systems are incapable of producing better sound than what is on a CD, but CD is still a good option for people who want to own a physical copy.

CD's are digital. They are just a physical copy of digital. As opposed to vinyl, which is analog and continuous. CD's are sampled and require a DAC to create the analog signal from the data, just like streaming or mp3. The DAC does filtering to smooth the gaps between samples. Different DAC's will produce different results and sound a little different, unlike vinyl because it's already analog. A lot of people think vinyl is more pure because of this. But I suspect most people buying vinyl are just doing it because they want to be hipsters.

CD's are digital. They are just a physical copy of digital. As opposed to vinyl, which is analog and continuous. CD's are sampled and require a DAC to create the analog signal from the data, just like streaming or mp3. The DAC does filtering to smooth the gaps between samples. Different DAC's will produce different results and sound a little different, unlike vinyl because it's already analog. A lot of people think vinyl is more pure because of this. But I suspect most people buying vinyl are just doing it because they want to be hipsters.

All vinyl being pressed now is mastered from a digital copy. So you're just playing back a digital file via an analog format.

Back