Virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

vale46

Hi all,

I was wondering what difference it would make to the performance of my pc if i adjusted my virtual memory ammont ?

The reason for this is i use a program called Poser 7and it is RAM hungry during the render stage (Poser is a 3d character design program)

Some techno advice is most welcome thankyou.

My system is a Pac-Bell Intel duo 2 quad Q6600 2.4Ghz, 8mb cache, 3 gig DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8400GS 1500mb (256mb dedicated) card and a 500gig HD to which 400gig is free.

Cheers, Vale.

Virtual Memory = Ram + Page File

So adjust the Page File you mean?

If so, yes I agree that adjust your page File to:
Minimum=1300
Maximum=1300
Apply, and restart

But you need to play a little with these values from Page File (Min And Max) 600 to around 1600 (both values Min & Max being the same)

:)

Your page file by default is probably around 1.5x the size of your physical RAM, so, I assume it's probably not going to make any difference at all. I would suggest that you let Windows adjust the size automatically.

On a more adventurous note, it's not really going to hurt anything permanently if you alter the page file size (be it higher or lower). If your performance seems to take a significant spike downward, just set it back to how it was by default.

*Edit*

Bah, Kimsland :D.

Dont know what i mean to be honest,

Poser sometimes tells me it cant load textures due to there not been enough virtual memory, thats where i got the virtual memory thing from.

I,m a bit green at the techno stuff hence asking here.

Cheers peeps.

To get to Page File settings, follow this link:
http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/2177271

To see page File usage on your system use this tool:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm

Edit:

In Vista:

click Control Panel
click System and Maintenance
click Performance Information and Tools
click Advanced Tools (in the Tasks pane at the left side of the dialog box)
click Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.

After answering the User Account Control prompt, you’ll arrive at the
Performance Options dialog box. You’re nearly there

click the Advanced tab, and then click Change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back