TechSpot

Virtual PC from a flash disk?

By AudioVayne
Apr 13, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It has been brought to my attention there are flashdisks which have the ability to run programs etc like a virtual drive after you plug it in.

I don't really know how to explain it so ill just spill the beans on what I want to do.

Say I plug my flashdisk into a machine (most likely XP), I launch an application which acts like a virtual OS so I can run programs pre-installed (VLC, up to date bug scanners, guitar tablature programs etc). I'm not looking to boot from the thing because I want to do it while the machine is running, and presumably Xfer files...
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

There are quite a few applications that offer "PORTABLE" versions. VLC is definitely one of them, and I'm sure others you mentioned are as well. Have a google for whatever app you want to use & the word PORTABLE. Opera is another one, which you can use on any PC and not leave traces of your history, etc.

This way you don't need to have a Virtual OS, and it doesn't leave any traces on the host computer.
  3. AudioVayne

AudioVayne TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 142

I'd prefer the virtual OS / integration method...they were merely examples...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.