Inactive Virus aftermath, help clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, so I was so fortunate to get a virus the other day. :(

I was on the computer and some fake anti-virus pops up telling me my computer is infected so, after a few swear words I calmed down to see the damage. It was worse then I expected. I couldn't open task manager. The taskbar had been switched to the windows xp "theme" the start menu was blank on both sides and when I could actually get explorer to open all my files were gone, along with all the files/icons on my desktop. I knew they were only hidden, so I didn't freak out too much.

I made a bootable usb antivirus and the scan came up with a few results, which I then deleted. Ran the scan again and it came up clean. I booted and no fake anti virus came up.

Searching through the internet i found how to get all my icons back and my files restored in explorer. Also how to re set up the start menu and switch the taskbar back to "icons with grouping". After doing this I found that all my files/folders were slightly transparent or "dim". I unchecked the box for hidden in the properties for all the folders in the c drive. Then my files/folders weren't dim anymore.

Then using something I found on here somewhere I ran something called mgedit.msc. And got task manager back.

Everything on my computer looks normal, but is there anything i should know?

Any way of switching everything back to its defaults? Assuming the virus didn't tamper with the defaults.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Welcome aboard
yahooo.gif

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back