Virus messed with my Vista activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

D@nny

Topic there , didnt see this section at the time sorry :(
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic132022.html
What i dont mention is some specifics of the bsod mainly the numbers, if you can work with these to help me undo this deactivation id be extremely grateful to techspot
[Blue screen
stop: 0xC000021A (0X94371E68 0X000000000)
]

after the start up disk check finished that proceeded the memory diagnostic 2 step program
i chose to access system recovery hp wizard got this
instruction at 0x74332738 ref. memory @ 0xzeeeeroes4 memory cannot be read
clicked okay or something and the hp recovery gui loaded up just fine it seems
so many options i chose the last one
okay well im in the hp recovery tool that i didnt know existed
is there a chance choosing to open up the cmd and doing this will fix my problems or should i not even bother? it seems like a user process did this but now that the problems arrive from the actual windows vista itself and not some virus.exe im not sure if dr watson is the right person to try unless it can somehow access vista and fix instead of just analyze the program causing the problem

To set up Dr. Watson to trap user-mode program errors, follow these steps: 1. At a command prompt, type System Root\System32\Drwtsn32.exe -I, and then press ENTER.

Generally those error codes have to do with system file corruption.

I have found you can resolve the BSOD and boot into windows by running a fixboot in the recovery console. Then you can start addressing what corrupted your files

You will need your Vista disks for this however, have you tried the 'repair' option at all?

i just tried last known configuration it restarted saying problem with new software or hardware drivers, since i didnt do any hardware driver change not that i know of i figure its the little software put on my computer via the virus. well i booted safe mode with cmd and typed in drwatson the only command i really knew of and it said no faults detected lol . i created some disks (now lost ) when i first bought the computer like 5ish years ago , what is the recovery console and how can i run 'fixboot' some other way?

should i try safemode? i didnt try using system restore because it was in this limited diagnostic mode and it told me any system restores done cannot be undone which scared the crap out of me since the only restore point i had was the same day i got the vista destroying virus except a few hours earlier thankfully when some steam game forced me to install directx. i have a sinking suspicion though it probably wont work and maybe even not let me boot up the recovery consoles anymore

Are you able to get into the machine now however?

Fixboot is generally run off the Vista recovery/installation disks

not with last known configuration but if safe mode cmd prompt worked my guess is normal safe mode should work as well
can i dl a problem like fixboot put it on a cd and have safemod read the disk or are disk drivers shutdown in safe mod?

Fixboot isnt a program, its a command that works within the recovery console. So you need the whole Vista disk for it.

If you can get into safemode, then I would be running virus scans there and forgetting about fixboot.

"2. If you or software you installed recently installed a system service, try disabling or uninstalling the service. "
this is a long shot but could disabling a service or re enabling a service that was shutdown by the virus (probably one related to checking windows vista activation) in safe mode via control panel a possibility?

Fixboot isnt a program, its a command that works within the recovery console. So you need the whole Vista disk for it.

If you can get into safemode, then I would be running virus scans there and forgetting about fixboot.

at best i probably have combofix,relying on a always user disabled expired pre-installed norton anti virus got me this far

edit: can using system restore in limited mode become a big harddrive destroying risk if the restore isn't succesful? its just a restore which is successful is permanent right? not a corrupt one

Personally I don't think that will work. If its a virus then it would have deleted your activation status. The best thing to do is get rid of the virus, repair any damaged files and then reactivate yourself with Microsoft

crap okay , what will repair any files if they are damaged? also reactivating with microsoft if i dont have a cd key? it should still be somewhere in my registry correct so they can check it there i hope.

never came with a cd key pc with refurbished in case your wondering it is genuine just like the others we've bought. so if system restore does not work is there anyway to track down what changes were made to my system through event viewer or something

You will need to do it in the steps I said before. Remove the virus, repair damaged files and then reactivate. Reactivation can be done online or you may have to end up phoning Microsoft.

Repairing the files can be done through a command called SFC or an actual windows install. These both need your Vista disk.

Better to cross that bridge when you come to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back