Virus problems Kaaza Aim? Slow computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Virus problems Kaaza Aim? Slow comp

Just helped a friend purchase a new Dell Dimension.

His kids downloaded Kaaza and the Aim which I think has to do with instant messaging and AOL.

Within 3 days the computer is barley running. Have found some viruses and still have "Downloader" I haven't removed yet.

Would Kaaza and or Aim cause the computer to run so slow?

remove Kaaza
run spybot, adaware, and your favorite ativirus after updating all
install kaaza lite instead-

yes and no. Unless one of the particular programs have a flaw causing it (which you could google for, as many others would have the same problem) the programs themselves are probably not likely to be responsible.

However, if the kids have been downloading alsorts from Kazaa, that could easily account for it, in part at the very least. Follow Godataloss' advice, and see if it helps.

The full version of Kazaa is loaded with spyware. You may have a difficult time dowloading spybot if its like some of the machines ive seen. You might save yourself some headaches by getting the dl from another machine first.

Id give you a link to Kazaa lite, but I'm at work and I dont wanna get the internet police after me.

And install some antivirus on that machine! And if possible, get Ad-Aware paid version to have resident spyware scanning. It's pretty obvious those kids are not responsible/knowledgeable enough to operate a computer without precautions.

Better install software firewall too.

Try d/l ing DietK from Download.com . It automatically removes all of Kazaa's spyware, boosts dl speed and hacks your participation level. It's what I use, and I found it useful. Be careful, though. Kazaa becomes dependant upon Diet K, because otherwise, it gives you a wierd error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back